The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

help doing engine swap in my '92 eagle 2000 GTX ('92 Galant)

91GSR

ok i didnt finish reading this thread after the first few posts cuz i just got excited. 1st of all...since when is any galant a DSM...i say this because my thoughts were that if a mitsu had an eagle/plymouth counterpart that it was DSM. i guess it was just the base model galants then? next, i have a totalled galant gsr sitting right now waiting for parts to fly off of it. i have the 4g63 DOHC ecu, front drive axles, drivers side is brand new, less than 100 miles on it. also have anything else you could imagine. already sold the engine to another board member. have a 5 spd trans with nearly new clutch/pressure plate in it, less than 3000 miles. its an exedy oem replacement. if you need anything for this swap let me know. i would do both axles for 100+shipping, trans for 50+shipping, ecu for 50+shipping, and whatever else you need just let me know.

/thread jack

EDIT: just finished reading the thread. too bad i didnt find this sooner i could have saved you some money most likely. that belt on there is the AC belt, so just take it off, you can cut it or just loosen the PS belt and Alt belt and take it off. if you need anything else for your build just let me know. i soent a good deal of time wrenching on my 4g63 before i wrecked it. most of the guys here know a lot more than me, but i think i have a little to offer lol.

Last edited:

1990ggsxnj

Yea, man, sorry. I grabbed the engine from 91GSR but definitely like your build up. Car looks good minus some of those broken bolts /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

Good luck! Will be stopping back to see how it's going later.

Woosky117

yeah the reason that you have probably never heard of the 2000 GTX, is because it was only sold in Canada. and as far as i know, it came with all the other options also. altho i dont have much to compare with. when my dad bought this car new, it was the only one left on the lot.
but i am fairly certain that these cars had at least the dohc, and awd options.

btw, i beleive i found someone with a vr4 in Moncton!

i realy need to stop by their house and check that thing out.
if it is a vr4, ill let you guys know the number.

Woosky117

ok, so i checked out the other car that i saw, and it turns out its just another eagle 2000GTX, but its belize green, and has the wing, and some sweet rims that the guy put on it.
ill get some pics of it in a few days. i couldnt today because it was raining realy hard. flooding in some of the lower areas.

i got a lot done today on the car.

got both sides under the fenders welded on, and got a rust hole area under the back door.

ill upload the pics tonight. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

maroonmetallic

Nice score on the fenders. Did you get some painted or is that the original paint on them?

Oh AFAIK the 2000GTX was available as SOHC fwd, DOHC FWD & DOHC AWD but I haven't seen a turbo version.

-Shawn

Woosky117

it was the original color on the fenders. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

alright, so heres a few more pics of the work that has been done so far yesterday.

welded on the places to attach the fenders, right under the bumper.

did the same thing on the other side, but this side wasnt so bad. so it was more of a reenforcement, and also a spot for one of the bolts that had ripped off, seeing as the bolts was slipping.

there was a spot in the wheel well that had rusted out, and cracked. it was right by the battery holder.

so it was welded, and patched up.

and put some undercoating on it.

and then there was a spot right under the back drivers side door, that had rusted thru, so we cut it out, put in a new piece of metal, welded it in, and then covered it up with fiber glass body filler. i will sand it smooth later.

i also installed the clutch onto the engine. (ill get a pic eventualy)
so thats what i got done on friday.
im still waiting on the ecu, the wiring harness, and the rad.
sunday were gonna fix up that big problem area that the cross member needs to bolt up to. and ill sand down the fiberglass. and we also will start working on a rust area, or at least the bubbling in the paint around the antena.
need to drill all the bad/broken bolts out. and need to replace all of those bolts.

i cant wait for the rest of the stuff to come in! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
i have a deadline of less than two weeks.
i know i can get it done! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

cspetros

Congrats on the progress! It looks like things are moving right along. Good luck man!

turbowop

If I were you, I would remove that AC belt and the tensioner along with it. Also, I would put a new waterpump, timing belt and components, and new accessory belts on before you install that motor in the car. A little money and time spent now means less issues to deal with in the near future. Go through and replace *all* coolant hoses while you're at it as well.

91GSR

definitely agree. a new timing belt is a must. hell for that matter all belts. since the car is out you could think about doing the BSEK too. just so its easier. water pump is also a good plan.

1990ggsxnj

+1 on all of that...SO much easier to get that sh*t done without the car in the way lol. While you're at it, Exhaust, Oil Pan and VC gaskets can be done as well, IMO.

Woosky117

well, theres a lot of those things that i just wont be able to do as i have to get this car by the 24th at the latest. i will be replacing the hoses. any kind that you suggest?

but anywho, heres some pics of what was done today.

so we cleaned out the rust area that was around the antena.
sanded it all down, put on the body filler, smoothed that down and sprayed on the primer. that spot is done minus the actual paint. will paint in the future, but doesnt need to be done right now.

mounted on the trans, and filled the engine with oil. installed starter off old engine.

cut off the bolts for the cross brace, so that we can get new ones mounted up and thru.

i have ran into a small problem. one that i think somone mentioned once, but i guess i forgot about it. i need a drivers side engine mount. seeing as my old one is just a little to short. please help! if you, or anyone you know, has an engine mount that they are selling, please let me know! i need one asap!

i also need a new o2 sensor, seeing as they broke the one that came with it.
again, if you have, or know anyone that has the o2 sensor for the dohc n/t, and that they are selling, please let me know asap!

please help guys, i like need those parts this week!
thanks!

ill update more tomorrow.

Woosky117

made purchase on the engine mount.
now all i need is the o2 sensor.

i hope that i get all my parts this week... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif

Woosky117

too tired to put up the pics tonight. need to wake up early tomorrow.

today i bought a new oil filter from NAPA, i got some new spark plugs, and i bought the primer. applied primer to all finished areas. will post pics tomorrow.
also found a new rust area, which i have already started working on.

ordered some new rad hoses. those will be in on wednesday, and ill be picking up the other hoses at the same time.

we actualy broke a ratchet a few days back.
need to borrow another one, and eventualy buy a new one.

thats all for now. pics, and further updates tomorrow.

turbowop

So you're not going to replace the timing belt on this used engine? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif

You know what happens if the timing belt breaks, right?

cspetros

^^That's timing belts to you, Whoppy /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif.

And he is going to change them, and he knows why he should. Right, Woosky? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Last edited:

Woosky117

of course i am! and of course i do! im getting the belts today. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Woosky117

ok, so i got ALL the belts (minus the ac)

and i got a brand new ratchet set! ill post a pic tonight. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Woosky117

alright, so update from work done yesterday.

bought and installed new oil filter from NAPA

sprayed on the primer on top of the bodyfiller around the antena,

and also sprayed on the primer for the area that was under the back door that was fixed.

found new rust area, cut out area, and prepared for welding. i have the metal cut for it already. once the welding is done, will apply the body filler, sand down, and prime.

now, update for today.
i didnt actualy get to go work on my car today, but i did buy the belts, and a new ratchet set!

here are all the belts that will be needed. i spent just over $100 (CAD) on these belts.

and here is the new ratchet set. cost me just over $120 (CAD) at NAPA. lifetime warranty. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

well, thats it for now. hopefully, i will be installing those belts, and the spark plugs i bought, tomorrow. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hsugh.gif

91GSR

i do hope that you snagged some oem tensioners and such...the kit i got from extremepsi.com had the oem mitsu belt, timing belt tensioner, balance shaft belt and tensioner and a couple other little things and it was all like 220. i dont know the exchange rate, but from what i have learned...ur napa belt might have to be changed out sooner than if u just bought a mitsu oem one. im not sure tho...anybody else chime in on this?

cspetros

Timing belt brands are a classic debate subject. The important things: the belts are installed correctly; the hydraulic tensioner is healthy; the tensioner pulleys are adjusted properly.

Woosky, you should check out the VFAQ timing belt pages when you go to install the new belts. They are a priceless guide to removing the old belts and installing the new ones correctly. They can be found here: Heavenly writings from the Mitsu/DSM gods.

Look on the bottom of the hyd. tensioner for a date stamp (so have them, some don't). If it's pretty old, it should be replaced. Also, if it has a screw on the bottom of the shaft that uses an allen key, REPLACE. I read somewhere here that these are the old type. There are steps for checking the tensioner to tell if it's good/bad (like if there's fluid squirting out of it when it's compressed), but most people say if you're not sure, and you're buying new belts, just replace it. Same goes for the tensioner and idler pulleys.

Here are some good threads: Timing Belt ramblage

Read over all of this info before starting, especially if it's your first time. There are some great tips in them. The Technical Service Bulletin page is the best. I changed my first set of timing belts this past weekend after a balance shaft belt disintegrated on the way to Atlanta. It didn't screw up the main timing belt (like it does most times), thank goodness /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worthy.gif (it was broken into two separate belt chunks, all gnarly up in the engine front /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jawdrop.gif ). I removed the shafts in the engine I'm currently building. Good riddance.

Long story short, if those belts snap, the dual-cam-head that your entire swap thread is based on will not be happy /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif. It will be bent and angry and screaming /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif.

Keep us posted.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts