The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Help diagnosing cyclone manifold problem.

GSTwithPSI

According to the wiring diagram I found in the library, the FPS ground wire goes to pin 7 at the ECU.

Page 149 ----> click

That looks like the correct plug. Should be red and white wires in a t-style connector. If you have 12v that's a start. Make sure the ground side is good and report back.

---> Wires should look like this when looking directly into the plug:
..________..
.| W H I T E |.
..________..
.......| R |.....
.......| E |.....
.......| D |.....
.......-----.....

Edit: I see the 1G ECU pinout says the Fuel pressure control valve is pin 57. I guess I need to look into this more. The diagram def says pin 7, unless the page just didn't copy very well??? What color are the wires on pins 7 and 57? You're looking for whichever one is white, obviously.

Last edited:

cupajoe

Hmm, Maybe I'm looking at it wrong but the three ecu harness plugs look different on page 149. I was basing my assumption on Vfaq: click

Edit: Pin 57 on the harness is white, but I'll double check in the AM and verify when its light out.

Last edited:

cupajoe

Okay, so it is in fact the white wire. This had got me baffled.

So if I'm not getting 12v at idle then for whatever reason ECU thinks the conditions have been met? Might be an ECU issue, considering I ohm'd the ground wire and it checked good.

Side note: Can I use the EGR control in V3 for this even though I have my wideband setup through the EGR temp wire?

GSTwithPSI

You should tripple check the following:

If you have battery voltage at the red wire with the car on, the positive side is good.

If you have continuity on the white wire from the connector plug all the way to the ecu, the ground side is good.

If the ECU is showing activation (0 to 1), the computer seems to be trying to do its job, and your config should be good.

If you tested the solenoid (you should feel it and hear it click when activated) then the solenoid shouldn't be the issue. I would test it on a bench with a 12v power source to be sure.

If all those things check out, I'm stumped. Maybe an ECU issue like you suggested? Not sure what you mean by getting 12v at idle? I'm assuming you mean see voltage when the solenoid is supposed to activate with your meter hooked up to the FPS plug. You are correct, and you should see voltage at the plug when ECMLink log shows 1. If you are utilizing the EGR input for your wideband, you won't be able to use it for anything else (v2 or v3).

cupajoe

Okay I got some new findings.

I bench tested the FPS, check ground, and power. All check good. I turned the key to on and set my settings all to zero except TPS to 1%. With the car off and moving the throttle I can hear and feel the FPS activate and deactivate so I know it works now. Here's the trip, with the car running without messing with any settings the FPS will NOT activate or deactivate. Why? What would cause this?

Getting closer atleast.

cupajoe

Only issue with setting the speed to 1 would I'd have no way to confirm it working.

I went ahead and set the rest to 1 and same thing.

Last edited:

cupajoe

So to eliminate a settings issue I went ahead and did it manually in norm operation settings. With the car off It will click, but when I turn the car on it will not do anything. So if the power wire is still getting ~14v that would mean the ground wire isn't grounding while the car is running. Possible ECU driver issue?

GSTwithPSI

Unplug the FPS from the connector. Set your meter to test for continuity. Ground one side of your meter, and connect the other side to the FPS plug where the white wire is. Activate the solenoid manually through ECMlink, and see if the meter reads open, or shows a path to ground. If it shows open the entire time, there's no path to ground through through ECU.

The meter should show open until you manually activate the FPS with ECMlink. When activated, the ecu should complete the path to ground and your meter should show little to no resistance.

Do this test twice, once with the engine stopped, and then again with the engine running.

Last edited:

cupajoe

Set to resistance, one to white wire and the other to battery ground.

Car OFF:
FPS off shows ~30.xx then turned on shows ~131.

Car ON:
FPS off shows 0 then turned on shows 0.

cupajoe

Well this is very consistent, just did it again with a chassis ground.

Car OFF:
FPS off shows ~80 then turned on shows 0.

Car ON:
FPS off shows 0 then turned on shows 0.

GSTwithPSI

The ~80 off and then 0 turned on is what you should be seeing under all conditions...So strange.

The only thing I can think is there's some parameter in the config keeping the system from working. Electrically, the conditions are the same (MFI relay provides voltage) regardless of whether the engine is on or off. The ECU is seeing RPM and other signals with the car running. I'm thinking one of these is somehow impeding operation? Have you posted this on the ECM link forums?

Sorry, dude. I'm kinda running out of ideas.

Last edited:

cupajoe

Very strange, and yes I've posted this on the DSMtalk and ECMlink forums. Yeah I'm guessing something in the settings like you mentioned is deactivating the function. I'm out of idea's as well, I do appreciate all the help though, so thank you so far.

prove_it

Quoting cupajoe:
Great idea on just activating the FPS. I went ahead and did this and still didn't activate the FPS, also hooked up the volt meter and still didn't ground it out. Figured I Ohm out the ground wire from the fps plug to ECU, results were 00.3-00.6 ohms. Can someone tell me if that ground is good or bad? Clutch switch is disabled and rev limit is set to 8k.

Here is a picture of the settings, I tried both checking and un-checking the Factory settings and still to no avail.

You need to have the factory settings box unchecked. Yes it's grayed out, but while there is a check, it will function as stock. unclick your user setting tab, the unselect the normal box. Recheck the user box and see what happens.

prove_it

So, all better?

cupajoe

Nope, I've tried both check and unchecked for the "stock" fps. Still to no avail.

cheekychimp

Still if Ryan is correct, I'd leave that box unchecked from now on. So are we sure the FPS is working properly now?

GSTwithPSI

So, are you able to check the box "enable user-defined settings" and leave the "enable normal (factory) settings unchecked...So there's only 1 box (enable user-defined settings) checked?

cupajoe

Correct, these are my settings. Like I said I tried both and FPS is fully functional and works as it should. With the car off and moving the throttle above my settings the FPS will click and I can feel it open. When I start the car and rev'ing it past the settings it won't click and make a sound. It's got to be something in my settings impeding it from operating once the car is on, but what? Or maybe is software issue?

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned