The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Help a guy over in Malta! MAF to match JDM VR4 ECU

FlyingEagle

Staff member
Okay, this is a help thread that I have opened on behalf of a member at the Colt site, whereby we need a little insight into some crossover with regard to MAS/MAF parts.

I little background is that the guy has a Colt (3G hatch) with a Galant VR4 motor and wiring harness, also the early type dual board JDM ECU.

There was no airflow sensor hooked up when he got the vehicle, and it was running, albeit could have likely been much better.

He didn't know it needed a sensor. Or an actual BOV.

Long story short, we have made sure he is getting the car/engine patched back together properly.

MAS wiring was gone over and hopefully was brought up to snuff. Hopefully.

Airflow sensor was acquired from the US (part number is for a 93 Laser RS), and the car ran better for a few months.

Engine recently started to fall flat on it's face and we realized that although not the issue, no BOV was plumbed in.

BOV installed, same condition.

MAS was disconnected and engine ran much better.

Lots of stalling when clutching in and coming to a stop, high idle, etc, etc.

We are still working on the wires on the firewall and inside to confirm a proper ground scenario, and once on hot maps, to get base timing checked.

Okay, I plugged in his ECU and model and got a MAF # for the USDM GVR4!!! Hurray for cross-over!

Can anyone tell me if the MAF on a GVR4 is the same as any other MAF like a 1993 Laser, or any other TEL from 90/91-94??

Every model seems to have variations on the stock MAF, we just need to be able to source a known good MAF to get to the guy in Malta.

GVR4 or other, this guy likely needs a MAF to match his ECU.

Any help appreciated guys.

Cheers,

Tim

toybreaker

iconoclast
Tim,

I've got a known good vr4 maf that I'm not using.

If he pays the shipping, I can get it out in the next day or two.

I also have all the terminals to repair / replace the maf connector if that is required.

(just got a few fresh kits from Sheridan Engineering)

... anybody troubleshooting wonky wiring / driveability problems should pick one up, as many problems that appear to be related to the components are actually caused by wiring gremlins /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

fwiw, the maf used on the 1g / T / E / L models is a workable "get by"

It has both honeycombs in the body (versus the vr4 unit which only has the one)

You can remove the lower honeycomb, but I *believe* it will throw off the metering accuracy a little, as it's "trimmed" to show a certain frequency at a given flow at the factory with the honeycomb present. Removing the honeycomb will *probably* make it under-report airflow a scosche.

... works for troubleshooting (and as a get by,) but driveability may not be optimal.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned