The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Hello all. I Just Picked Up a GVR4. New parts pile updates 5/15/12!!

GSTwithPSI

Quoting tsitalon1:
What wheels are currently on the car?

Not sure what wheels they are, but if they weren't all messed up and were perhaps refinished they could look nice like these: click The pictures don't show how shitty these wheels really look. Not because the wheel is actually ugly, but because the set on my car are trashed. The rear two wheels and the front two wheels are actually different colors, the rears being silver and the fronts actually being a bronze color. There are also lots of little screws in the wheel all the way around (for looks or decoration I suppose). The previous owner for some reason removed the majority of the screws out of both front wheels. Why the hell anyone would do this I couldn't understand...that is until I saw what the previous owner did to the rest of the car and then it completely made sense; he's an idiot. Not only are the wheels missing little screws and mismatched colors, but they all have some curb rash on them. Oh, and the tires on all 4 are completely bald. I'll take the hit for the wheels though. I found this car on Craigslist, and in the add, it actually had different nicer wheels on it. I towed this back 6 hours from NorCal to where I live. I guess I got so engrossed looking at the motor and picking the car apart when I finally arrived to get it, that I completely missed the seller had put these shitty wheels on the car before the sale. It wasn't until after I got home and looked at the add again that I realized the wheels were different. Lesson learned I suppose...in the future...always murder Craigslist car salesmen.

Good:
img.php

Bad:
img00002201109201825.jpg

GSX_TC

Dam I never even noticed that about the wheels, crazy.

ade

wheels are not that bad, I'll get em powder coated a matching color, polish or machine the lip and throw spikes where the screws go...(damn VW instincts)

As for the paint on the car, its loud but doable. Fiberglass or weld up the vent, wrap it with what ever speaks to you and give it time to soak in.

At least a hole wasn't cut into the roof from the po or the factory:)

LIV4PSI

It's surprising how much better those wheels look on the white car. I was just checking it out in the member's showcase.

I also have a distaste of sunroofs

GSTwithPSI

Quoting LIV4PSI:
I also have a distaste of sunroofs

I had no idea that a non-sunroof car was more rare, and more desirable, until I got to this forum. I actually love sunroofs, and wish my car had one. I guess at least if I ever get rid of this thing it's one more perk to list in the add. Can someone refresh my memory and tell me how many VR4s were made in 1991 without a sunroof? I remember the number being low?

LIV4PSI

2000 total came with sunroofs, 1000 total without. So roughly 665 of the 2000 in 1991 are hardtops.

GSTwithPSI

Just a few additions to the parts pile for my build:

-Aeromotive AFPR. Finally found a AFPR for a good price. I got a deal on a used Aeromotive A1000. I bought the lines and fuel rail fittings super cheap separately from another guy. He actually threw in a Weapon R AFPR with the lines as well as a stock fuel rail and filter (see bottom pic). I was reading the Weapon R AFPRs weren't very reliable and have a lot of problems?? I'll be throwing the Weapon R AFPR and the extra fuel rail up for sale when I can.

FPR%2520pic.jpg

fpr%2520lines.JPG

Picked up a set of adjustable cam gears. I believe these are Fidanza but the seller couldn't say. Got them super cheep though, and they look good so I couldn't pass them up.

cam%2520gears.jpg

Picked up the no-name steering wheel in this parts pile pic. $20 bucks shipped, so figured why not...

steering%2520wheel.jpg

So now to update my soon to buy shopping list:

-Stock GVR4 exhaust system. I have a WTB add listed. I have got a few PMs from members, but nobody has come through yet.

click

-Gates Racing Timing Belt

images

-BC BR type Coilovers. Bobdole cut me a great price on these and the RPF1s I want. Apparently he is a Enkei dealer. If you are interested in Enkei wheels, or BC coilovers, Bobdole is the man to talk to. He cut me a price with shipping on both that's unmatched anywhere I can find. He is a great guy too.

BR_Type.jpg

-A set of Enkei RPF1s

41pbqoJjjNL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

-Innovate Auto Timer-Air/Fuel Display LC-1 Wideband kit. Still looking for a killer price on any used LC-1 kit. If I don't find one cheap used I'll just buy the autotimer/wideband kit below new.

AutoTimeer_500.jpg

-2G MAF and Dejon intake with 1g to 2G harness. Still looking for these used and waiting to find them all together cheap.

images

Finally my deployment is coming to and end, and in a little over 2 months I should be home turning this parts pile into a beast GVR4! More updates to follow soon.

GSTwithPSI

Quoting stealthtt24 :
Digging the wheels, do they look like evo 8 wheels or is that just me?

No, they look very similar.

Evo IX Enkei Wheel
p3140021_small.jpg

Enkei RPF1
IMG_2820.JPG

Last edited:

GSTwithPSI

Quoting dc_style :
^^ did you end up with 17x9's?

Well, I haven't ordered them from Bobdole yet, but I'm definitely going with the staggered setup; 17x9 in the rear and 17x8 in the front. I'm going to wait a little closer until I get home from deployment to put in my order in case I have to exchange them due to fitment issues.

GSTwithPSI

+1 Meth Kit for the parts pile!!! I can't believe the deal I got on this. It's Snow Performance Stage 2 Boost Cooler meth kit. Should work nicely to keep intake temps down and make some extra power. click

Snow%2520performance.jpg

Got a better pic of the steering wheel I paid $20 bucks for. Wondering what brad this is? Hopefully it cleans up good.

steering%2520wheel.JPG

GSTwithPSI

Here are a few parts acquired in the last month to add to the pile. It seems I'm a sucker for deals. I find myself deviating from my soon to buy list and picking up parts I don't necessarily need because I just can't pass up a deal. Anyways, here we go:

-Blitz Dual Solenoid Boost Controller. I bought a lower shores MBC a while ago. If the Blitz EBC doesn't work out like I want, I guess I have the MBC to fall back on.

blitz%2520boost%2520controller.jpg

Cyclone Intake mani.

img.php

89' Tail Lights

img.php

img.php

-Unorthodox racing pulley.

Pulley.jpg

-Finally found a 2G MAS, plug adapter, filter and a Dejon intake for a decent price. Looks like I'll be rolling with the 2G MAS instead of going with a speed density setup for the time being.

intake%2520dejon.JPG

-Finding a used wideband has been the bane of my existance. I don't know how many people have posted adds for a used wideband, and then either did not respond to my emails, or wanted $5 dollars less shipped than what a brand new wideband kits costs shipped straight from Innovate. Finally, I just got tired of people trying to sell used wideband setups for what they cost to buy new, so I just said Fu*k it and bought a new one myself. I figured since I was going to spend the money anyways, I'd kill 2 birds with one stone and get the Innovate Auto Timer/LC-1 Wideband kit. It has the wideband display, turbo timer, and volt meter all in the one unit. Very nice setup, and I'm excited to get it on the car.

innovate%2520wideband.JPG

innovate-motorsports-3833-auto-timer-wideband-airfuel-ratio-display-kit-includes-auto-timer-and-complete-lc-1-kit_10179_300.jpg

-BBK 62mm throttlebody. I have heard a lot of bad things about these; shaft seals leaking out of the box, throttle shaft snapping, etc, etc, etc. I got 2 of them used for less that what a N/A stock TB costs, so I'll try them out and see if they are as crappy as everyone says. If they suck, I'll throw them in the trash and call it a day. Are any of you guys using one of these, or have any experience with them?

bbk_1750eclipse_talon_throttle_body_turbo_62mmweb-398x.jpg

throttle%2520bodies.jpg

-Ebay knockoff oil catch tank. Bought it off some guy on Tuners dirt cheap BNIB.

catch%2520can%2520real.jpg

-NRG Voltage Stabilizer E-PAC3. Again, got this BNIB dirt cheap and figured I'd try in out. Did a little research and found someone with a dyno chart that showed a 3hp increase at the wheels. Am I counting on that? Definitely not. But, I'm sure bolting this on can't hurt for what I paid for it, and it definitely wasn't even close to the 89 bucks they sell for new.

catch%2520can.jpg

I've got a little under a month left before I get home from deployment now. I'm counting the days until I'm home working on the VR4. I pretty much have a complete parts pile. I'm still looking for a few things like a stock exhaust, coilovers, a set of RPF1's and a 5 lug conversion kit. I have a month or so to acquire this stuff used before I buy it new when I return. I'm dying to get back to the junk yards too, and rape some of the junkers laying around there for cheap parts. More updates soon!

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned