The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Having a Psuedo-Dogbox Built for #108/2k

donniekak

The machining isn't on the shaft, the synchro cone is machined off the 90 2nd gear, and holes drilled for the synchro like on the later 2nd gears.

EMX5636

Yea, I forgot about that. That's also how you can upgrade the 3/4 to the Evo3 dual cone without sourcing the gears.

Vr4junkie

So any updates on this Tranny /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gifplease tell me you got some thing going on if so post some pics I'm dying to know.

Last edited:

EMX5636

I actually was going to post up on this soon. I received the call yesterday that they are done and ready to be shipped out. I should have them by the end of next week. I'll take some pictures and feedback when I get them. Then starts trans assembly, clutch install, rear subframe bushing install, etc.

I'll also be building a hitch/rear bumper support combo similar to what James did, and might re-shim my rear diff. I will also be turning the wick up on the tune, and going for a few low 11 (I would be stoked to get a 10.99 out of it) passes when it warms up.

Vr4junkie

Alright keep us updated I'm actually considering doing this the price doesn't seem that bad I might have to give them a call soon see how much everything will run me I would like to have there 1st-4th and an Evo 3 5th.

EMX5636

Just send out a spare set and prepare to wait a bit. Mine took longer because of the shaft/spline mix up, but I would still prepare for 3-4 months. I have about $950 into the setup, with their metal enhancements. That's about the going price according to their website.

They're shipping them back faster than normal, so I should see them Monday! I'll get some pics up within a day or two of unboxing.

EMX5636

Well the long awaited..... tada!

20130304_221635_zpsb3175f20.jpg

20130304_221641_zps783871f8.jpg

20130304_222307_zps8e1f9d91.jpg

20130304_222325_zps6b63a1be.jpg

20130304_222346_zps4faebd58.jpg

20130304_222410_zps83279a6b.jpg

20130304_222433_zps06bd0e06.jpg

EHmotorsports

NICE!!! looking forward to the review.

DynastyLCD

that's some perty pieces right there...

looking forward to post-abuse results /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

donniekak

I think this would be a good option for a big turbo, high rev build. I would be scared anything with a lot of torque would rip the teeth off.

EMX5636

I guess it depends on what you think is a lot of torque, but for the most part I agree. They are stock teeth, so they can only take so much. These have been shot-peened, surface polished, and IIRC cyro treated so hopefully they lift the window a little bit. Only time will tell, but the car only made 508/394 at 31psi and the gears have held up so far. I'm shooting for about 570/425 with some more boost and maybe cam gear adjustments.

EMX5636

Got the rest of the trans cleaned up. I gotta swap my 91-up 4spider to the 90 case and decide on shift forks. I wanted a pair of Magnus forks, but they are on epic backorder. I have a billet BM Tranny 3/4 fork in my current trans, but I'm not sure how the aluminum will hold up. I might be stuck with Evo3 forks. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Anyone have any recommendations? Shep doesn't sell his anymore, so that option is out.

EMX5636

Settled on the Evo3 forks. Strength wise they are great, they just wear the plastic pads out. I got the trans together today, I'm hoping to have it back in the car tomorrow and finish a couple things up by mid week for some initial driving.

EMX5636

UPDATE with driving impressions!!!

I have been driving this on and off for about 3 weeks now. I had to pull the trans a couple days after initial install in search of a mysterious bearing/gear noise. (95% positive it was my t-case finally dying) The trans is completely daily driveable. I've been double-clutching lightly and it drops in every gear as easy as a fresh synchro trans would. 1st gear at stop signs is just like the PPG video. Push in the clutch, count to 2 or 3, drops right in like butter. WOT shifts are amazing fast and effortless with just a light tap on the clutch pedal. I'm hoping to get some track passes in soon, so we'll see how it holds up!

Any questions feel free, I'll do my best to answer.

EHmotorsports

Great news!! Look forward to seeing the track results.

EMX5636

They tell you not to because it shortens the life of the dog rings. But it's undercut and operates the same as the PPG rings. I haven't tried it yet, but a lot of videos (mostly in Honda's or T56) on youtube show people just lifting off the throttle slightly or using an ignition cut to allow the shift.

Because the way they are undercut (so they don't pop out of gear), it would be hard/bad to flat shift w/o the clutch. You need to interrupt power for a split second somehow (either ignition cut, slight throttle lift, or tap of the clutch pedal).

EMX5636

OK. So I have a little over 1k miles on this setup and it's still as awesome as day 1 (well day 3 or 4 cause it took a couple to get used to it). WOT shifts are incredible and for those asking, YES you can just let up on the GO pedal a bit and pull the next gear. A buddy of mine drove it (KP Tuning owner if you are in the Tristate area) and he's got a set of gears ready to ship out for his Evo. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif Double clutching still offers a basically silent up or downshift, but I've gotten ok at timing a normal shift like in the PPG video so you only hear the one "clunk" as the dog teeth engage. I still prefer double clutching because it doesn't make any noise and it shifts like a regular syncro trans.

I haven't gotten to the track at all yet, but based on 2-3-4 pulls on DSMlink, a 1/10th or two under my syncro trans when it was fresh isn't unrealistic. It went 11.8@120 1.5 years ago, and I'm about 50whp up, the new trans and not all-season Continentals, I'm hoping for a real low 11 sec pass. I'll be happy with that with my full weight, creature comfort, roof rack, tow hitch, DD Galant with a "small" (in todays standards) 58mm PTE turbo.

EHmotorsports

Great to hear!!! I will be ordering mine this summer!!

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned