The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

GVR4 Starting issues (Cold and warm)

Racah15

Okay guys, this is starting to frustrate me. As of recent my Galant doesn't like to start cold or hot. Just medium.
And I already replaced my fuel pump and CTS. Whats odd is this:

In the morning, I ALWAYS have to pull my CTS connectors to get it to start... but! if I leave them disconnected after driving (to "be prepared" for next cold start), I HAVE to plug them in to get it to start. So if I drive all day with them on, then I unplug it, I have to plug it in next time to get it started, but if I drive all day with it off, then plug it in, I have to unplug it to get it started. If I unplug them, then start the car, then plug them back in, I have to unplug them also. Basically I have to reverse what I did, which is frustrating to do every morning. Also Hot start takes a while to start up, but its getting better. I don't notice it being too bad anymore after the hot start enrichment on link.

So yes, my CTS was good, but I replaced it anyway, and it still no change.

Any ideas guys?

rgeier11

What modifications are done to this car?

Do you have any way to log the sensors? If you do not have some sort of logger, you are in trouble. Is the check engine light on?

prove_it

CTS? I'm a little confused on whats going on.

MellowVR4

ecu?

5OF2k

What are your start trims setup as, and what are your sensors reading? Need some logs or soemthing man, it'll helps for sure.

LMK if you need a hand!

-Jake

Racah15

rgeier11:

Walbro 255
FIC 650CC Injectors
Evo3 16g
SD
Nothing major.

Yes, I have ECMlink. CEL is only on if I leave the CTS disconnected for a prolonged period of time

prove_it:

Coolant Temp Sensor.
If I have the CTS plugged in it won't start in the mornings unless I unplug it, start it, then plug it back in; however, if I unplug it in the night so I don't have to unplug it in the morning, I have to plug it back in in the morning for it to start. If I leave it plugged in and leave it overnight, I still have to unplug it in the morning. It's confusing, and that's why it's bothering me.

MellowVR4:

I doubt it, but I'll check again. Before I put link in, it didn't smell fishy and all caps were good. It drives fine and everything operates correctly and ecmlink connects flawlessly.

Jake:
Not sure, the cold start up fuel trims weren't messed with much, and didn't make a difference. I'll see if I can play with it a little again and make it better. It's hard because I basically have 1 chance to do it, because once it starts up, it can start fine after that. So it's a once a day type thing. I'll post up some logs here soon. For sure I will let you know. It's bugging the crap out of me that every morning I have to crank the car... hope it starts, hear the struggle, pop my hood, unplug the CTS, crank the car, struggle to start it, and hop back out and plug the CTS before the car stalls. It was fine before, but now it's doing this. Haha

Thanks for the responses guys.

prove_it

Ah, yea that makes no sense what so ever. Do this. Leave it all plugged in and shoot me a log of engine off, key on. Then unplug the cts wait a minute and stop the log. Post that for me. You must have a voltage issue somewhere. I'll what I can find.

5OF2k

You have to use a file hosting site on here, I've used this place before for the same thing. Works good, it's free, and quick:

click

Racah15

Sorry for not updating this. Messed around with the cranking fuel stuff and a bit with the SD tables and she's starting better. For now I have to hit the gas WOT for

5OF2k

Sounds like youre headed in the right direction man. Logs were mainly more for seeing that everything was seeing what it should under the proper condotions and such, you know?

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned