The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

GVR4 paint variance

mitsuturbo

Quoting turbowop:

The only problem is that there are about four different variances to the BG color code. The might not match to everybody's color. That said, it's still worth the money and if it doesn't match, get it painted again.

I was not aware of this. It does totally make sense though, because i've seen some BG cars that appeared to be sporting original paint, yet looked vastly different. Is there any record of differing paint "codes" or was it just a fluke as far as how they mixed each batch of paint?

I've seen KG cars that seem lighter/darker than one another as well. Have my eyes deceived me, or is it pretty much the same deal as the BG paint?

Plus add in 20 years of varying degrees of sun exposure and waxing, paint can fade at different rates.

Chim55117

I think it's all based on how the owner has cared for their car. Sometimes in photos my KG VR-4 looks like it's a Belize Green. Odd.

mitsuturbo

That's true, but when you see a different colour in places where the sun doesn't shine, it's pretty evident that there was a difference from the start.

turbowop

I learned the variance thing from my bodyshop buddies. Their PPG books show multiple ways to mix one color code. They use cards that they spray with the different variants to match the color as close as possible.

It's not an age thing. It's just that the color/mix changes slightly over the course of whatever the amount of years it's available or something like that. I dunno, I just trust the painters.

gtluke

Quoting Chim55117:
I think it's all based on how the owner has cared for their car. Sometimes in photos my KG VR-4 looks like it's a Belize Green. Odd.

In like 2001 I got in a huge argument with Nate C about a picture of a GVR4 online. He was swearing it was green but I was swearing it was Grey. I think I was right, but it was odd how much it looked green, yet most of the time it's totally grey looking.

vtecds1

I agree with Wop said. I was at my friends body shop a couple of days ago to drop a car off. I was watching him mix the paint to match a Champagne colored Avalanche. IIRC, there was at least 5 different colors that had to be mixed and the weight had to be exact. At the same time, the paint might be different from every manufacturer.

I dont know if it`s the same, but when I use to be a digital print operator, sometimes the color of the ink does not match the color we're trying to match in a Pantone book. Temp and material played a big part on how the color comes out. But sometimes we would get a bad batch of paint, which didn't help out either.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned