The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Fuel pump help

Josh554

I just bought #554/1000. I know that it will need a turbo to run because the one in it is completely shot but I figured I would try to start it first. It has been sitting for a couple months so I got some new fuel in it, put a battery in, connected everything and tried to start it but it wouldn't start up. It would start on starter fluid but it would only run off of the starter fluid. So the owner had told me some of the connectors were bad so I was checking everything with a multi-meter and I only got 8.5 volts dc at the fuel pump, I was wondering what you should normally get. Because I know that the injectors need enough pressure to work correctly. It is getting spark but nothing from the injectors.
Can anyone help me out?

prove_it

Should get close to battery voltage at the pump. Factory wiring to the pump is bad to begin with and you will see around 11v. 8.5v tells me you have high resistance somewhere in the line.

That also depends on how you tested for voltage and how accurate your meter is.

Last edited:

Josh554

I measured it at the connector to the fuel pump with it disconnected, and I measured it at the pump with everything connected. I got the same both times, and the battery was fully charged. I'm going to hook the fuel pump directly up to the battery to see if it will start with full voltage.

prove_it

across the connector or did you ground your meter and check for voltage? Wondering if you have a bad ground.

Josh554

Yes I tested it across the connector, I didn't use a ground. Is the fuel pump relay a common problem because the other gvr4 I was looking at was about scrapped because it stopped running and it turned out it was the fuel pump relay.

prove_it

Check your voltage against a known good ground. Your more likely to have a poor ground. When relays fail they very very rarely reduce that voltage present. Also the factory wiring is known to cause a voltage drop. That is why everyone rewires the fuel pump.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned