The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Fuel cuts out at wot

I am useing a GM MAS airflow sensor with the translator box 1 to 1 aeromotive fuel pressure regulator high vol fuel pump keep a long story short the car works great until I floor it boost picks up my air fuel gage goes rich then to lean and the car just dies sounds like it rev limiter. If you need more info let me know, cant not race the car it is only good for cruseing

What other mods do you have? The translator alone will not get you past the factory airflow fuelcut. Once the ECU sees a certain amount of airflow, the fun is over.

I got 780cc injectors 20g turbo 3 inch exhaust custom made high flow intake. aem boost controler. stock ecu.

Fuelcut is very violent, like you hit a block wall. Are you sure you just don't have a "sputtering", like the engine is breaking up really bad? That's what happens when you are too rich. The other thing it very likely is would be bad plugs. With the translator you are removing >40% of the airflow signal to the ECU, so it is going to be using timing maps that are way too aggressive for pumpgas. You are probably throwing a ton of extra fuel at it to keep knock under control, but that causes the spark plugs to quickly become glazed, and the spark blows out under boost.
The only right way to do it is with a chip, to remove the extra fuel from the big injectors, so you stay on the proper timing maps.

SmoothCustomer

Yeah, fuel cut is pretty severe and it will throw a cel. It could also be anything in the ignition system causing it to sputter at higher RPM's i.e. coil pack, wires and plugs.

Rausch

Quote:

I floor it boost picks up my air fuel gage goes rich then to lean and the car just dies sounds like it rev limiter.

Quote:
You are probably throwing a ton of extra fuel at it to keep knock under control, but that causes the spark plugs to quickly become glazed, and the spark blows out under boost.

If you're getting way too much fuel in the system, it may not stay atomized. Showing really rich then going lean *may* indicate that this is what is happening. The O2 sensor sees a jump in oxygen, as it's not burning in the cylinders.

Jeff is 100% spot on though. Get a chip to correctly compensate, and go from there.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned