The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

foward facing oil filter housing

Polish

And with that picture it almost looks like you could fit the filter, probably the shorter (Civic or Evo8 I forget which) one only though. It just seems after you pull off the adapter that there would be enough space, even to clear. Does anyone have a pic showing a filter installed on the forward facing housing? Or at least next to one thats installed for comparisons sake.

I could have sworn someone who was race only, or didn't need cooling had used one of these on a Galant as is with the filter sticking out the front.

bazeng

Polish, i tried that on mine orginally, my fittings wouldn't clear..
is the lower fitting in that pic a tighter bend to the upper one? (1 peice??)

my filter housing adaptor sat differently when screwed on tight, basically it would site 180 degrees opposite to yours.. (the fitting you have on top, mine was on the bottom)

what brand screw on adaptor are you using?
if mine only fit like yours, it would have saved hacking my forward facing filter housing

Polish

Thats not mine. It's Spooling92VR4's. If you click the link I posted above he has more pics of it also.

Well I found a fiter that fits and doesnt touch the 02 housing. Its pretty small though. It is a little smaller than the evo filter.

I think I am still going to order a relocation kit though. I'm just not sure its a good idea using a filter this much smaller than stock. I can atleast get the motor broke in on a few of these filters while waiting for the kit o come in.

spooling92vr4

those both of those fittings on the oil filer housing are -10 90 degree i guess adapters.. then i used a 90degree swivel hose end on the bottom and a straight, simply to make the hoses go where i wanted a little bit smoother.. a mazda oil filter will fit on the car. but its a little too small for my taste, plus i wanted to use an oil cooler so either way if i wanted to use that housing you have to relocate the filter, i wouldnt recomend using that without fitting an oil cooler

bazeng

are you guys using a full time oil cooler? or are you running an thermostat?
i personally believe the oil is not heating up enough on my setup..
(big 19 row oil cooler with -10 lines)

i've been thinking about scrapping the oil cooler...
what are you oil temps??

I do not run a oil cooler.
Its not a road race car so theres just no need for it.

Quote:
The forward facing housing will not allow you enough space for a oil filter relocation kit.. i have tried..

ive tried too. and it works.
i used hose barbs instead of braided an ends and adapters. if they dont fit but you still want to use braided an you could use something like this:
rus-612100_w.jpg

bazeng

in that case, it should fit =)

they wont fit if you use the adaptors i used..
which was a male to male fitting and then a female fitting on top of that..

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned