The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Flywheel Rear Collar

Specter

The word "collar" i am using is to refer to the ring on the rear of the flywheel which fits on the crank itself.

My first question is : How important is this collar? What is the purpose? Is it suppose to lock the flywheel into place and prevent any play the flywheel bolt holes might have?

My Second question is : Assuming, you get a flywheel which does not have this collar on the rear and is rather plain and flat, would it be a good idea to make that collar on laith machine?

I tried to be as clear as i can regarding my questions.
Thanks

Specter

Yes the engine came along with an automatic transmission. Now converting it to a manual tranny, the only problem i have is for the rear collar of the flywheel. The flywheel which we want to use is flat from the rear. I think if i do not make the collar on this flat flywheel then it will not sit properly and might come loose. That is why i am asking should i make this collar on the rear of the flywheel?

CSMShaun

The collar is not necessary for manual vehicles. On the automatic it located the snout of the torque converter in the crank. Feel free to remove it or not put it back in the crank.

Specter

Oh no, you got it wrong. I understood what your referring to as collar. But what i am referring to is the ring, the ring u see, if u flip a flywheel. That ring on the rear of the flywheel which sits on the crank when you are bolting the flywheel on. I think i would have to take pics so its easier to understand /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif

Specter

I just took the pics. Sorry for the inferior quality.
This is how the flywheel looks like which we would like to install:
img.php

This is the pic of of a stock flywheel
img.php

Yes so this is the ring i was referring to as the collar. Now you can see that one flywheel is fairly plain. Back to my initial question, should we make it like the flywheel in the second pic so it sits on the crank tightly and gives no chance of any play?
Thanks /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Last edited:

CSMShaun

LOL your pictures are not of flywheels but of MAFS and are no way connected to the crank.

click Are you talking about the rings on these flywheels as seen in this picture? I think they are necessary to hold the flywheel square on the crank.

Specter

Yeah i accidentally selected the pics on maf sensors which were on my desktop :p edited the post again. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

CSMShaun

Now your pics are of flywheels. I would think that a flywheel that does not have that "collar" could potentially shift and move during engine operation. But I would not atttempt to make that collar on a lathe as removing material from the back of the flywhell could weaken it and lead to it breaking under load.

Specter

Hmmm so we either make that collar, and hope that it does not break OR we either bolt it as it sits and hope that it does not shift. That is not a good situation in either case /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

CSMShaun

If there is any play then you can bet the flywheel will shift. Is aquiring another flywheel of the correct size but with the collar possible?

Specter

I guess i would have to spend some time and look for it, anyways you have cleared all of my queries, thanks a lot brother, i appreciate it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

fivestardsm

Personally, I would never ever run it. But hey thats just me. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

The time and money it would take to repair/replace anything that might get destroyed or broke because of the possibilty of the flywheel shifting and causing a serious vibration, would never be worth it.

bustedsm

There should be a dowel pin on the crank that allows the factory 5-speed flywheel to keep from shifting around. So if you've got an implemented dowel pin on the crank and it's in place you're good to go....

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned