The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Evo8 IC & piping but dissapointed!

First, Any help will be greatly appreciated.
just got done with the piping setup and boost is definately noticeable.
I had to change the radiator to 1990 galant because my old one had a accident and it start leaking.
it seems that motor is strong but after full boost, my heat starts to climb little before the H mark.
I'm thinking its the thermostat but fan kicks in and it looks like some of the coolant is going into the engine(at idle).
I am hoping its the thermostat but could it be that bad? it doesnt open during cruise?
but its not over heating, just the temp gauge goes up.
would a old radiator also be the problem? I assume that as long as the thermostat opens during cruise/boost or heat range when thermostat opens, it will stay at regular heat range?
I am dissapointed that I can't bring a problem to a dyno and have to wait until the problem is fix.
radiator is stable but would evo8 IC not provide enough airflow for the radiator?

turbowop

Quote:
it looks like some of the coolant is going into the engine(at idle).

You need to troubleshoot this issue before you worry about the radiator. Time to do a compression test. It's possible you have a blown headgasket.

come on man!
dont scare me like that.
car ran fine before the change and it still boosts and runs fine afterwards.
I had a slight issue before this. so it could be too much water or the thermostat.
two things first, after reading bunch of posts I am going to change out the coolant with 50/50 fist and at the sametime change the thermostat.

CarRacer

I'm running an Evo intercooler and an oil cooler in front of the radiator without any overheating issues. I think you have another issues to troubleshoot.

Coolant loss is a serious issue. Are any hoses weeping/leaking/cracked? Is the oil or coolant discolored? Fans working properly?

turbowop

This thread is really confusing. When you say the coolant is going into the engine, do you mean it's entering the combustion chambers and being burned, or do you mean it's flowing through the motor like it's supposed to? I only suggested a compression test because you made it sound like the motor was burning coolant. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Nate

Did you burp the cooling system properly after installing the current radiator? Your "loss" of coolant could be due to air bubbles in the cooling system coming to the top after getting some of the coolant circulating. The high temp could be from not enough coolant in the system.

1990ggsxnj

+1 for burping. Happens a lot. Plus even if it were just water, it would still cool fine, just evaporate faster.

sorry for the confusion guys. I meant the thermostat is opening and coolant is getting sucked in to the engine.
the fan kicks on and I have a funnel on raditor to make sure I burp it properly.
replaced the thermostat and the cap. problem gone!
I was worried it may have been the HG. GVR4 picks up pretty quick with noticeable gain in power.
easily took out a S10-with a SS on the side that was messin with me.
I am going to take it to dyno in couple of weeks. after my weekend-duty thats coming up and clear up some schedule.
I like to make sure as minimum the fuel curve/pressure is set on proper A/F ratio.
Dyno result coming soon!
thanks again for your input.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned