The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

EVO Zero

grocery_getter

I used my dad's 1983 Galant to learn how to drive back where I grew up. Here's what a similar car to his looks like. Without that terrible wheels obviously, his was 100% stock looking.

It was a nice RHD, RWD 4 cylinder. It must have a 2.6lt under the hood, it was so torquey. Very similar with a non turbo starion drivetrain wise with a 4 door saloon body.

1302875326_182598741_1-Pictures-of--Mitsubishi-galant-1983-old-school-car-show-winner.jpg

fuel

Where did you grow up, as in which country? I think only the Australian models had the older Astron 2.6 fitted - everywhere else (ie Europe, Japan, NZ etc) had 4G32, 4G62, 4G63 and 4D55.

grocery_getter

Grew up in Indonesia. It was a very torquey car to drive up the mountain road. With the NA engine and the 5 speed in it, we always leave it in 3rd or 4th gear to climb up mountain road. I remember loving that car very much. I was still too much of a young teenager to understand what was under the hood. At that young age, the prospect to be driving a car and just being behind the wheel itself trumps any other details/ information /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Last edited:

RedTwo

Quoting JCorbo25:
It wouldn't make sense for a badge to say "Evolution Zero" or "Evo 0" since it would just be "Evolution".

I think it would be justified to badge a Galant VR4 as a "Galant VR4 Evolution". Just like there was no "Evolution 1," I believe it was just the "Lancer Evolution."

I may be tempted to put an Evolution badge on a GVR4 though.

"Lancer GSR Evolution". As in an evolution of the dirty 1.8L turbo Lancer GSR.

I still have huge issues will calling any Galant/Eterna an 'Evolution' let alone 'Evo 0' /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

grocery_getter

How about this gem? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

1.8lt
turbo
rwd

Last edited:

JCorbo25

There is a "Galant VR4 Evolution" in existence, but not massively produced.

To my understanding, the Galant VR4 shares many key things with the Lancer GSR Evolution (Evo 1) and I'm not sure if it is total blasphemy to put Evolution on a 4G63 Turbo AWD 4-door sedan that came just before the original Evolution. Anyway, in the US, we didn't get an Evolution until the Evolution VIII so the Galant VR4 is the closest thing we have to an early Evolution.

I have more issues with people taking Mirages/Lancers, throwing a body kit on it, and calling it an Evolution.

fuel

The Evolution spec Galant VR-4 was never badged or marketed as an Evolution model - it was only ever referred to as the Evolution spec or Evolution version in the WRC homologation papers which is where the Evolution name came from.

I don't think a great deal is actually really shared between the VR-4 or Evolution VR-4 to the Lancer Evo1/2/3. The Evolution VR-4 has the same big 16G turbo and same final drive of 3.909 as the Lancer Evo1/2/3 however the turbo part numbers are different between the each four, and only the rear crown wheel/pinion/LSD itself is interchangeable with the non-4WS E38A Galant VR-4 Evolution rear diff. The gearboxes are similar however the bellhousings have different mounting points for engine mounts and have different gearbox codes. In fact not much in the engine itself is the same either, the major components like block, crank, pistons, rods, cylinder head, inlet manifold are all different.

raptorWagon

Quoting grocery_getter:
How about this gem? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

1.8lt
turbo
rwd

Andre, If that's the same I car I think it is, That's towat(on JNC)'s EX2000 (not a 1.8l, but a 2.0l) who lives in Auburn.

Last edited by a moderator:

grocery_getter

This one is a real deal 1.8lt turbo. 4G62 motor with ECI Turbo.

Brunoboy, any pics of that GVR-4 with the evo badge on it? I would like to see it.

hosmer

I think the only OEM badge out there other than the USDM one is the "VR4 RS" badge...which is a decal

Quoting fuel:
As far as I'm aware the 6G VR-4 was only sold in Japan, the US and Australia.

They were also sold in Saudi-Arabia.

fuel

Quoting hosmer:
I think the only OEM badge out there other than the USDM one is the "VR4 RS" badge...which is a decal

There's also a JDM 'Super VR-4' which has the word 'SUPER' in small letters above the VR-4 badge. The JDM Monte Carlo edition VR-4 also has specific Monte Carlo decals along the rear doors in place of the usual '2.0i DOHC 16V etc' writing.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned