The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Evo VIII/IX MR OEM spring & OEM Strut (bilstein) with GvR4 top plate fitment

strokin4dr

I would still rather "hack" them by weld a stock bushing in place. You can get an extra inch of strut height that way and the galant needs it in the rear with evo suspension.

prove_it

That is very true. I had mine welded with the bushing all the way up. Regret it. Been a challenge to get a good look/rake.

transparentdsm

i dont mind mine, i had mine welded all the way up too and witht he MR springs the rear sits 1.5 inches from the tire to the fender and the front is at 2.3 inches. im still looking at different types for springs and spring rates to change my springs out to lower the car a little bit more in the front and get a little stiffer through the turns. im thinking about a set of swift's or tien.
anyone have any opinions or experience with these springs?

prove_it

I bought the RobiSpec clearance ebay springs. They are legit springs. 80 bucks shipped in. I used the fronts only. Front was still kinda high, so I cut a dead coil and now it sits awesome. It would be better with more height in the rear though. 1/2" tops, no more. I'll wait til I do the EVO rims and decide then. The Robispecs drop the front about 1", and with the cut coil, about 1 3/4". I'm using full length evo bumpstops too, to prevent bottom out. It rides great, and isn't too rough for non MR struts. The rear Robispec spring rate is damn near identical to stock, so it doesn't make a big deal not using all four. Once I find a 1.2" spacer for the rear springs, I'll swap them in just so it is a full set. I want to space the spring so the shock is still within it's range and allows for more travel.

**Note: I have the GVR4 specific front upper camber plates. These seemed to raise the front about 2/3" over the stock top hats. My coil cut was mostly to correct that. Others may not need this.**

Lot of discussion on EVOM about these. They claim they are the real deal.
Robispec Springs
Swift springs would be my next choice, as they have a 1.6" drop without cutting the coils. I think these would work great, but you can't use the rears. You end up paying 350 new for front springs. Not much of a budget set-up then, IMO. Finding them used is hard too, as everyone wants them.

Do NOT use tein, the spring rate is too soft and all the EVO guys say they blow out front struts within 5k miles. The green springs are very bad. The brown ones are supposed to be better, but on EVOM everyone HATES the tein springs. I know one guy on here is running them.

Last edited:

KiNgMaRtY

You would want the Swift Spec-R's. I have them on my Evo with Bilsteins from the MR. Just be sure if you have GSR Struts, you get GSR Springs. They will fit but they sit the rear very differently.

KiNgMaRtY

Was it a snug fit on the GVR-4 shaft around the bushing that was already inserted?

Quoting ade:
Quoting Alainb7:
Thanks for the picture.

Quoting ade:
I have those adapters on my gvr4, i got them from a forum member and they bolted right in

You use everithing in the kit?
Rear lower mount & front lower mount CNC-machined oval adapter washers?

Tell me if I'm wrong, but these front lower mount CNC-machined oval adapter washers are replacing the 2 1/16" shim, and fit in the 14mm strut mount hole and use 12mm bolt for knuckle hole mount,the oval shape is to adjust camber? I am right

i only received the rear adapter and it bolted right on.
CAM00212.jpg

SleepinGVR4

Quoting prove_it:
I bought the RobiSpec clearance ebay springs. They are legit springs. 80 bucks shipped in. I used the fronts only. Front was still kinda high, so I cut a dead coil and now it sits awesome. It would be better with more height in the rear though. 1/2" tops, no more. I'll wait til I do the EVO rims and decide then. The Robispecs drop the front about 1", and with the cut coil, about 1 3/4". I'm using full length evo bumpstops too, to prevent bottom out. It rides great, and isn't too rough for non MR struts. The rear Robispec spring rate is damn near identical to stock, so it doesn't make a big deal not using all four. Once I find a 1.2" spacer for the rear springs, I'll swap them in just so it is a full set. I want to space the spring so the shock is still within it's range and allows for more travel.

**Note: I have the GVR4 specific front upper camber plates. These seemed to raise the front about 2/3" over the stock top hats. My coil cut was mostly to correct that. Others may not need this.**

Lot of discussion on EVOM about these. They claim they are the real deal.

Robispec clearance

Swift springs would be my next choice, as they have a 1.6" drop without cutting the coils. I think these would work great, but you can't use the rears. You end up paying 350 new for front springs. Not much of a budget set-up then, IMO. Finding them used is hard too, as everyone wants them.

Do NOT use tein, the spring rate is too soft and all the EVO guys say they blow out front struts within 5k miles. The green springs are very bad. The brown ones are supposed to be better, but on EVOM everyone HATES the tein springs. I know one guy on here is running them.

I run EVO MR bilsteins with Swift R springs on all 4 corners. I don't know why you can't run the rears. I do.

prove_it

I can, but they are lowering springs. It will drop my rear end about 1/2". I need more front drop as is, so running 1/2" less in the rear would really jack up the look of the front. If I had welded the bushings lower, then yes, it would be fine. In my case, no. Like I said the Tein GVR4 tophats raised the front so I'm dealing with that.

Remember, your swift springs have a 1.6in front drop and a .6 rear drop. My Robispec springs have a 1.0in front drop and a .6in rear drop. Swifts are the way to go, as far as bolt on easiness as they will level out a GVR4 perfectly. Tein springs will to, even though they are rated at all around a 1in drop. Problem is that they are WAY softer springs so the front will sit about 1.5in lower(which is why they blow struts). The Robispecs are great for the front, but keep in mind, they won't correct the GVR4 added front height.

So, that my friend is why I'm running the stock full length rear springs. Wrong welded rear bushing location + Tein GVR4 tophats =Cut Robispec front springs and stock rears. There is nothing to gain as the spring rate is within a few pounds of the robispecs.

Last edited:

prove_it

Whats that I hear? Oh its the crowd chanting, "pics" "pics" "pics"!!

Spyke169

If anyone is interested I emailed Supercar Engineering, they have now added an option to order the front or rear adapter separately. So if you are like me and only interested in either the front or rear adapters they are now able to be ordered separately.

transparentdsm

i have the stock MR top hats on my car so using the full lowing kit would benefit me. i think im gonna save my money and go with the swift-r spring. the last set of MR struts i sold had the swift springs in them and they were great. also im not a fan of coilovers, i want my car to handle great, but i also need to be able to drive it 4-7 days a week and up to 120 miles each day.

ade

Quoting KiNgMaRtY:
Was it a snug fit on the GVR-4 shaft around the bushing that was already inserted?

nice and snug

Spyke169

Someone on the evolutionm boards gathered together data on various springs, including spring rate and drop (on an evo) thought it may be helpful with the discussion of different springs

click

I'm not sure if this has been linked to before, as it is nearly 8 years old now. I did a good amount of reading before selecting springs to put on the Evo struts I have on my 1g. I stumbled across this and saved the link incase I wasn't happy with the springs I selected and wanted to go back and look at different springs.

In several discussions on Evolution forums people talk about having their struts re-valved by Bilstein for the springs they select. Has anyone on here had this done?

tektic

I liked his idea. SKU:BIL-34-050224 (24944) are listing for $110 here

If only this was half a mm bigger. This would so worth it. I need to find some free 3000gt struts.

dsm kyb G2 cut up

Alainb7

Install almost done.

In the past, the strut as been install on a Mirage, so the guy didn't put the shim plate and I will need to bend back the mounting plate.

He also oversize the hole and weld some steel bump:(

Here is the front tower mod. pretty easy to do. It just move the top plate 2mm out. But for next alignement, I will redrill to have top plate go in to minimise the tire to be flush to fender.

Last edited:

pagosadsm

When I was making my strut housing, I was speaking with Wes at Bilsein at the western division. He said they were in development of making strut inserts. You might contact Bilsein on that. As far as mounting camber plates, I machined out a adapter from the strut to the camber plates.
Rick

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned