The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Evo III 16G worth it or not???

manikbastrd

Names will not be named, however I bought a turbo off a member and it is totally screwed. In order to get it back to 100%, I will need to get a new shaft(minimum) due to some scoring on the shaft and possibly a whole cartridge if I can't get the shaft by itself. Also, the cartridge housing will need to be bored out slightly due to some low spots in the journal housings. I am looking at a minimum of 300-500 dollars of parts and labor to have it properly done up. That puts my cost on the turbo at 600-800 dollars. At the end, I will have a like new, balanced, perfect turbo. However, I am planning on going bigger in the near future anyway (Fp Black/Red) and don't think this will end up being worth the trouble. I was wondering if there is anyone out there who would pay 600 bucks for a fully rebuilt turbo with warranty or not. I think I may need to cut my losses and send the turbo back to the user who said they will refund my original purchase cost. To compound the issue, I blew out my 14b recently and the car is now sitting in my driveway being useless. I was planning on installing the 16g, but now that plan is shot as well.

I think mostly I needed to gripe, but does anyone have any recommendations for me?
Thanks
-Manik

tektic

Vague on deal but If he sold the turbo and said nothing was wrong with it, take the refund.

Send 14b to "Turbo Lab" from dsm tunners for rebuild and have him fit a 20G compressor on it. He did a nice job on a cover for me. Nice guy. I'm going to be doing the same if I decide my small 16g is not powerful enough. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

Last edited:

manikbastrd

That is not a bad idea. I was just browsing their page. I have a local family owned turbo shop that I want to support and they seem very cool and willing to help me out on the cheap. I am thinking about picking up a new shaft, and the 20g housing and wheel and have a 20G gvr4 instead. Thanks for the advice!

tektic

If the shop can machine the cartrage they can machine the compressor cover too. You may want to pick up a 7cm hot side though.

mitsuturbo

Machining a CHRA to accommodate a larger diameter compressor wheel is a hell of a lot easier than cutting a new radius for a new compressor into the cover. Just because someone can do one portion of it, doesn't necessarily mean they can do the other. Now, if you were to say if they can machine the compressor housing they can definitely machine the CHRA, that would be a more reasonable assumption.

LIV4PSI

If a member ripped you off, don't keep his name a secret

tektic

Quote:
Machining a CHRA to accommodate a larger diameter compressor wheel is a hell of a lot easier than cutting a new radius for a new compressor into the cover. Just because someone can do one portion of it, doesn't necessarily mean they can do the other. Now, if you were to say if they can machine the compressor housing they can definitely machine the CHRA, that would be a more reasonable assumption.

I was just mentioning it in case he didn't know it could be converted to fit.

The person I recommended cut my compressor cover very nicely. If the shop he has in mind can not, its something you might want to be leary of.

manikbastrd

So I was just talking with amber over at FP, and she was telling me she has a 16g with a 20g wheel for sale for a little under 700$. I was thinking about the money I would need to invest to get this turbo up to snuff ( I will probably be at about the same price range if I swap to 20g), as well as the power that a 16g with a 20g wheel will make Amber says it could comfortably make 400whp with supporting mods. Has anyone ever run a 16g w/ 20g wheel? I am trying to figure out if its worth it at all. My goals for this car are in the 500's and I know that this wont get me there, but was meant to tide me over while I finish all the rest of the supporting mods.

I am thinking I may end up taking the refund, shipping the turbo back to the guy and just finding a cheap 14b to plug in while I save up some cash for a bigger turbo(FP Black or Red) that I really want. This whole situation sucks!!!

Thanks for all the replies by the way!!!

manikbastrd

May have found an easy fix for this whole issue. I have a buddy who has a 14 b he will let go for cheap. I will cannibalize some parts to make it work with the evo 16G, have it all balanced and call it a day /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

If anyone has any reason why this would not work please feel free to shoot me down.
Thanks!

theevozero

I made 511whp/465torque on a 20g.....

strokin4dr

^ What fuel, boost level etc were you using to reach those numbers?
Post a relevant mod list too. I'm curious because I just bought a 20g /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

tektic

A 14b 16g e316g and 20g all have a 5h turbine with different size compressor wheels.

To have turbo lab upgraded your 14b to a bastard 20g it should cost about 550 iirc

coyotes

What are the benefits/downfalls of a 20g on a 4g63? I have been debating all this myself..

prove_it

Quoting theevozero:
I made 511whp/465torque on a 20g.....

No offense, but I wanna see it. That's the highest I've ever heard someone hit with a 20G. Also I doubt that is with the TDOH5 turbine.

jnava

Staff member
Kyle..damn. BTW, TurboLab is legit. I had my e316g rebuilt. You can talk to Austin, Ian, or Jeremy. They have so many options and upgrade paths, its crazy. Those guys throw 3076 wheels in stock compressor housings. Of course they are modified for fitment but they are willing do anything you request.

fuel

Quoting coyotes:
What are the benefits/downfalls of a 20g on a 4g63? I have been debating all this myself..

With my TD05H-20G (made from fitting ebay 20G compressor wheel & cover, and 7deg turbine back-cut to my factory big 16G) I'm seeing full boost (15psi ish) by 3500-4000rpms and not much more lag over the factory big 16G, which I imagine is not much worse than the 14B powered VR-4s. I noticed a huge improvement in the mid-range and top end where the 16G was previously tapering off.

Bear in mind my car is still more or less stock, but JDM Evolution spec so already has the 510cc injectors, larger FMIC & piping, Cyclone IM and different ECU. Only mods are walbro pump, K&N filter, EvoIII exhaust manifold and hi-flow O2 housing.

theevozero

You're right. Its was a TD06H 20g on E85, 30psi, link v2 and oh yea, a stock motor. I have a dyno sheet, pictures and a blood sample to PROVE IT..lol.

jnava

Staff member
blood samples please...lol

prove_it

Quoting theevozero:
You're right. Its was a TD06H 20g on E85, 30psi, link v2 and oh yea, a stock motor. I have a dyno sheet, pictures and a blood sample to PROVE IT..lol.

So stock cams too?

theevozero

No....I believe they were BC 280's. Stock 1g block and head, with cams, valves springs, arp, mls.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned