The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

EVO brembo's Front and rear

Tre3zy

i know that you can buy a bracket for the front and make it work... just wondering if anyone have tried doing the evo 2 piston swap in the rear... i know that the 2g's have a drum e-brake setup so its just a bolt on thing for them but what about for the gvr4 and 1g's??? what do we need to make the evo rear brakes to work and also KEEP the e-brake???

GSX_TC

One day I wanna tackle this, I'll be sure to make an in depth thread on it as well.

QnzMostWanted

92-97 diamante rear brake setup SHOULD be bolt on for the gvr4...i know it works on the N/A

cheekychimp

Quoting Tre3zy:
i know that you can buy a bracket for the front and make it work... just wondering if anyone have tried doing the evo 2 piston swap in the rear... i know that the 2g's have a drum e-brake setup so its just a bolt on thing for them but what about for the gvr4 and 1g's??? what do we need to make the evo rear brakes to work and also KEEP the e-brake???

Okay,

If you search kama1 on this board you will find his build thread. It's about 6 pages long now I think but if you go back to the first couple of pages you will see him talking about doing the 3KGT swap at both the front and the rear. Most of us already know that the 3KGT rear trailing arms and hubs swap in allowing you to use the 2 pot 3KGT rear calipers but you can also use the 3KGT front knuckles allowing you to use the 3KGT front calipers without brackets. You have to get a bit creative. For YOUR drivers side a late model RVR wheel bearing will fit the 3KGT knuckle. It is possible the same may be possible on the passengers side, but we haven't confirmed that yet. MY driver's side is slightly different due to the fact that I have a JDM front diff and a different length axle, we haven't discovered if that makes a difference and affects the bearing we may have to use.

Now how does this tie in with BREMBOs? Well kama1 gave up on the 3KGT swap because he couldn't source all the parts in the Phillipines. Instead he fitted EVO IV knuckles and I believe EVO V Brembos. He also fitted the rear calipers so I am assuming he did a similar rear swap of trailing arms and or hubs at the rear.

Start looking at EVO IV and V parts online and I'm pretty sure you can make this work. I have been happy with the GTO (3KGT) brakes in the past and I want to use those on the daily as they say Mitsubishi on and the test centres are getting anal about brake swaps. But if you can get away with it, I am sure Brembos being newer technology are superior!

Paul.

JNR

What differences in brembos did the evo go thru? I mean, I imagine the X are better than the I, but at what point would it be best to look for them as a swap goes, or are they all physically similar? Wouldn't mind a set of newer brembos on the vr-4, but would hate to get ones that just wouldn't work well or that are inferior to another generation, so to speak.

cheekychimp

JNR,

I imagine looking at the hubs and knuckles (maybe checking rotor sizes) will give you some idea. I highly doubt later model brakes will offer less performance than earlier ones but you might find brake balance is better on some models the closer that model of EVO was to the gross weight and weight distribution of the VR4. For ease of fitment it sounds from what kama1 was telling me that EVO IV and V stuff pretty much bolts up. I have no idea if anything later than that does as well.

Paul.

Last edited:

JNR

Good points and I know the later Evo's (exp. the X) seem to be heavier than the older ones and probably closer to the VR-4, or even heavier (thought I read the new X MR fully loaded comes out to ~3600 lbs!)...want to say our cars are around 3300 lbs or something like that. Have the 5-lug already and SS lines and all that, so I'm going to look into this more as a feasible option. the stock brakes I have with slotted rotors are "OK", but I really got spoiled with the V's brembos. Another thing I am wanting to confirm is that the oem m/c and rod are sufficient for the brembos, etc.

Tre3zy

its alot of work and research but it will be worth it... im going to do it after the work on the motor and suspension... i was just wondering... my future plans for the car is to road race it so better breaking in the rear would be nice... although i was looking at the dsm forum and guys there who road races their 1g's with stock rear brakes seem to not complain about it... but bottom line is i was just wondering to how and what ill need cause it doesnt hurt to have 2 piston rear brakes as well /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif thnx for the info

Tre3zy

yea ive seen that post... and read it over and over again lol should be interesting when i tackle it... seems pretty easy

CutlassJim

Quoting JNR:
What differences in brembos did the evo go thru? I mean, I imagine the X are better than the I, but at what point would it be best to look for them as a swap goes, or are they all physically similar? Wouldn't mind a set of newer brembos on the vr-4, but would hate to get ones that just wouldn't work well or that are inferior to another generation, so to speak.

Evo 1-3 have the same front calipers we do.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned