The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Evo 8 cams in a 4G63

Okayplayer

Quoting 3rdstrikedsm:
Evo 8 mr cams are the exact same as gsr cams here in the states and if you wan't to use eco 8 cams then just get fidenza cam gears which are drilled for dsm and evo so no need to move the dowel pin.

Touche, but, I can get this done for $Free.99, which is a bit cheaper than cam gears. I am putting all the evo parts on my car that will make benefit. Evo FMIC, MAF, injectors, knock sensor, and ECU. Add to that list the cams. I like the evo8 path, seems to be pretty profitable with parts that can be had for relatively little investment. If there were a good way to throw the turbo on it, I would do it too, but I think I will stick with good ole tried and true E316G.

dewman

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif whaddya think the 'E' stands for ::trololololol::

Okayplayer

Lol, but I'm talking evo 8 junk not just evo 3. I wonder about the rear LSD. I've seen one for sale on CL for a while. I don't know if it will work, but that would be cool.

Okayplayer

Quoting CutlassJim:
I can back all of this. I have 8 cams in my 2G piston/head engine with 8 cam gears and a slot machined into the exhaust cam (cams swapped) and on a 16G at 26psi the power from 4k up was much improved over a stock cam. I also ran Evo 9 valves and springs/retainers.

What benefit did you get from swapping the intake and exhaust cams?

FlyingEagle

Staff member
Swapped cams in the head locations due to EVO 8 running exhaust on the rear of the head, intake on the front. Opposite cam positions to the 1/2G 4g6X motors.

talontyme

The non turbo cams are cheap and also provide a little bump in performance without the modding.

kaptainballistik

Well, Ive got a bit further...

You have to cut the CAS slot onto the Intake Cam as the exhaust does teh Timing on an EVO8 and the cams are approximately 180deg out..

unless the cams are asymetrical and the intake can do the exhaust!

kaptainballistik

Ok, there was ANOTHER thread on this ( 5 pages worth..) and I cant find it now!

anyone know which one it was?

gaylantvr4

i installed a set of 94 galant gs cams with great sucess.i think they are the same as the amg cams.

This is a cut and paste from another post on 4g61t.org from when I was trying to ID some cams I have:

4G6x DOHC
Listed is the open/close, (duration), cam height, and lift.
Letter= Cam ID mark

Intake
A-26/46 (252) 35.49 9.5mm
B-21/43 (244) 35.20 9.0mm
C-23/57 (260) 35.79 10mm
D-21/51 (252) 35.49 9.5mm
E-16/48 (244) 35.20 9.0mm
F-26/38 (244) 35.20 9.0mm
G-18/62 (260) 35.79 10mm
H-Unassign
I-Unassign
J-21/51 (252) 34.91 8.5mm
K-18/62 (260) 35.38 9.3mm

Exhaust
A-55/9 (244) 35.20 9.0mm
B-Unassign
C-57/15 (252) 35.49 9.5mm
D-54/18 (252) 35.49 9.5mm
E-43/17 (240) 34.91 8.5mm
F-53/07 (240) 34.91 8.5mm
G-63/21 (264) 35.49 9.5mm
H-63/21 (264) 34.91 8.5mm
I-Unassign
J-57/15 (252) 34.91 8.5mm
K-Unassign

The cams K(intake) and H(exhaust) are found in the 94 Galant GS.
The exhaust cam 'H' can be also found in the 94-97 RVR/SpaceRunner.
The cams G/G can be in the Euro market(1G Eclipse/Galant, 2G Eclipse, 89-91 Colt GTi 1800) and very few DSM. Consider yourself lucky if you find them in a DSM. These cams were also found in non USDM 4g67 Galants.

kaptainballistik

Its possible /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Just get the CAS slot in the right place :/

desant78

Anyone care to make a how to? I'm a newb to cams but have access to a machine shop. What us the mention to a pin moving mean? And his do you know shreds to put the slot?

DR1665

Assuming I go this route, I'll be sure to do a write-up, but it will be some time. Funds are really tight at this end for a while. (Evo cams are useless if you don't have the rest of the engine ready to go!)

The pins we're talking about are used to index the cams correctly when assembling the engine. If you take a look at your cam gears, you'll notice each has a single pin showing right next to the center bolt holding the gear on. When the engine is timed right, one of these pins will be at 12 o'clock, the other at 6 o'clock. This is called "indexing" because the location of that pin is precisely set in relation to the grind of the cam lobes and it makes it possible to time the engine without the use of complicated tools beyond your favorite four-letter words.

The slot in question is in the end of our intake cam. On the end of the head over by the throttle body, you'll see this little UFO-looking jobber bolted to the side. That's your Cam Angle Sensor (CAS). If you've never had one off, removing it exposes the end of the intake camshaft, which has a slot cut into it, which is where the little propeller-type doo-dad on the CAS sits. As the intake cam spins, it spins the CAS, which the ECU uses (among other sensor inputs) to calculate injector and spark timing and whatnot.

The Evo 8 cams are indexed opposite ours. Could be the CAS on the newer engine is on the exhaust. Could be the engine is installed backwards. I don't really remember and it doesn't matter. When those cams go in OUR engines, the pins will be in the wrong place (making setting your timing belt a problem) and the slot is on the wrong cam (making CAS installation a problem).

SO, as Pete (and others) said, in order to run the Evo 8 cams in our engines, we need to drill new holes in our cam gears for the new pin locations and cut a slot in the end of the other camshaft - both of which require a fair amount of precision. Not to say it's impossible, but it's not like taking a Dremel to the factory airbox.

Hope this helps.

DR1665

BUMP!

Just scooped up a set for $40.

195/2000 is going back together...

desant78

I also got a set for $50 but since then plans have changed...will post pics in summer if I do try and fabricate them.

Captn

So to be clear, what is all needed to make this happen? Is there a need for new cam gears as well as the machine work? I am interested in doing this I would just like to know of everything needed, besides the machine work and the actual camshafts!

SSGdave

Ok, so a couple of people have been asking about this again.
So I thought I'd up date what I posted...

Car Passeed CA Smog with the Evo cams *win*

DR1665

@SGTDave - Thanks for sharing. If they pass CARB smog, I'm sure they'll pass ADOT here in Phoenix. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Got a couple quick questions for you, sir.

PINS
You said you indexed pins relative the #1 lobes, correct? Sounds simple enough, but why did you have the cam re-pinned versus re-drilling the gears?

CAS SLOT
I've seen more than a couple pictures of a double-slotted Evo EXHAUST cam. Not the way to do this mod. In taking a quick look at a stock DSM intake cam, it's not immediately obvious what to use as a reference point to cut the new slot. What did you use as your reference point to find your cut?

My plan is to document the install with lots of pictures and specific details (because there's a lot of half-assed, old posts out there I just don't trust). Basically, this is a $40-$50 set of OEM-quality cams delivering a mild upgrade. I think the community deserves the confidence to get the right cams, machine them properly, and install them.

Looking forward to your feedback, sir. Thanks.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned