The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Engine build update more $$$$$

Hello all as you have all seen from my other posts that my motor ceized ( probley spelt wrong) any ways here is an update I got my head back and it looks good for 320.00 and as for my short block new crank,bore,oversized pistons,oil pump, ect 1000.00 I hope to get from locals put her all back together anyways here are some pics thanks to all for your info and as for the spelling nazies out there sory in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:

DR1665

We'll get you sorted, dude.

Please tell me you have a short block ready to go. Seeing pictures of the crank all by itself makes me nervous. For $1000, you should have got new pistons, rods, rings, bearings, oil/water pumps, back as an assembled short block. If not, you got ripped off (and, if the vendor was suggested by friends, I'd suggest not consulting them about automotive topics in the future).

Let us know what's up. What's important now is you have good parts and it's time to start putting the car back together.

boostedinaz

Brian,

The stock crank ended up being junk so this is a new one I found for him from a local that "should" be good to go as is. He is saying that the total short block once done will be about a 1000.00 A little pricey but a few of the parts ended up being way out of spec and some addittional machine work is needed as well.

Last edited:

Michael is correct but now there a new issue and im worried I just got a voice mail from Ray at Basko asking if my vin number is a VR or VU code Im not at home to look this up but he said it could change our deal . Man im already @ 1000.00 for the short block and my head was 320.00 and the crank pictured was 120.00 so im getting up there just for a stock set up. any ideas what he is asking thanks for any help

DR1665

Quoting Drdamm21:
Michael is correct but now there a new issue and im worried I just got a voice mail from Ray at Basko asking if my vin number is a VR or VU code Im not at home to look this up but he said it could change our deal . Man im already @ 1000.00 for the short block and my head was 320.00 and the crank pictured was 120.00 so im getting up there just for a stock set up. any ideas what he is asking thanks for any help

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

He's probably asking if the 8th digit of your VIN is a V or U. For a VR4, it should be a U.

ja3cx56u2nz######: Typical 92 GVR4 VIN
Ja3cr56v6nu######: Typical 92 Galant VIN

U = 16V turbo
V = 8V non-turbo

The only thing I can think here is that maybe someone screwed you guys on a "good" crankshaft.

boostedinaz

No the crank was supposedly looked at by Tony at UMS and the guy I got it from is a pretty stand up guy. If anything I HIGLY doubt he would throw Tony under the bus to make a few bucks. While I can't say 100% that is it fine I don't have a bad feeling about it.

I think Basko was wondering about the VIN to know if it's a tubro motor or non turbo motor. Why they would wonder that I don't know for sure but perhaps it is for gasket set purposes, rings gap specs, piston specs, all little things that differ from turbo to NT.

Again just my .02.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned