The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

ECMlink next steps help w/ logs

mikus

Can you guys logic check me?

I have MAP & IAT sensors in for SD but am working on a MAFT tune first to learn the ropes. All setup/idle is done to the book & I've smoothed out air some over higher rpms, not perfectly.

Areas I "think" I need help/input on
• Did I overlook anything that I should attend to first?
• I'm not 100% clear on how to start tackling my afr's (or if not those, what) from here. Any tips?
• Does the consistently higher WB mean I should tweak global? Are the baseline target AFR's too low? (it's a stock Evo 8 map off ecmlink)
• Seems I could spend all day re-calibrating my idle air/fuel trim, every time it's slightly different. Is that typical, is it a MAFT thing?

2nd & 3rd pull #1
2nd & 3rd pull #2

beaner

The MAF looks to be calibrated nicely at wot, but wasn't there something with the voltage from the baro signal being too low with the maft causing incorrect airflow readings? It was years back so I guess it depends on the version you're using. Just a thought.

Your timing is way low.

What fuel are you using?

Quote:
Does the consistently higher WB mean I should tweak global?

It is my understanding that the global setting should be set and left alone. Unless of course your injectors flow differently from what you think they do. I'd confirm the base fuel pressure was actually where I wanted it before touching the global. Every fuel pressure gauge I used gave me a different reading. I said the hell with it and wired a pressure sensor to the ecu.

Quote:
Seems I could spend all day re-calibrating

Welcome to the club.

mikus

I believe the voltage thing is the MAFT 'influencing' baro if you don't ground the MAFT to frame instead of ECU. That's done here.

Timing - I've only set base timing mechanically. Should I be thinking about it yet? I was under the impression that I need to get my afr/wideband closer first but yea I do believe it'll want for more timing.

Fuel is 93 pump and yea my pressure gauge is probably off, lol. Asked about global because I would believe my fuel pressure could be a bit off.

thanks & keep 'em coming

mikus

In case anyone searches/follows this ---- after some reading up I'm to the conclusion that:

Assuming ALL the basics (leaks, mechanical, basic setup) is right and airflow is dialed in nicely -- the AFR's and wideband should be fairly inline in open loop. If they're not, likely suspects are a mechanical fuel delivery issue or a questionable WB reading.

In my case I have the typical AFPR analog gauge and bet it's reading low. Now I could
- change my airflow sliders to dial in AFR selectively
- change my fuel target sliders or table to dial in AFR selectively or
- raise global to modify AFR across the board

Instead I'll avoid all three and mechanically raise my fuel pressure, and start over on dialing in idle, then airflow. Modifying global could acheive the same result BUT this will still be adjusted correctly if I ever remove ECMlink from the car.

brisvr4

So you have a wide and in the car?
I would take a wot log and download and use the Link tools spreadsheet that is on Ecmlink.
The guy that made it has the user name Calan. Works fantastic to narrow down exactly what cells you need to change in the DA tables.
I never use the sliders. Are you running V3?

mikus

I'm running v3 full & wideband, MAP and IAT all installed & logging.

I've read many of Calan's posts, very helpful - his general take seems to be "tune air or tune fuel, don't try both or you'll go nuts, I calibrate air and tune fuel". For someone dialing a car to run well -- especially commercially -- it's probably just fine. I want to learn WHY before I tune around it. Calan already knows all the WHY I'm sure /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Plus if my fuel delivery IS off it's just going to come up again when I start over on an SD tune after this tune.

Either way I'll find that spreadsheet thanks, it can only help

brisvr4

No worries mate, it's pretty easy once you get right into it.
This is that spreadsheet that I was talking about. Makes life a heap easier!!
Link tools

mikus

i did go ahead and raise my fuel pressure (mechanically, not using "global fuel", same effect) and my stuff lines up much more nicely @ WOT 5000rpm+
New log

beaner

I wonder why mafraw drops and you get knock.

The ECU pulls timing 1 degree over 206, you should try getting your coolant temp lower.

Is it possible to lower boost a little? What wastegate are you using?

mikus

Quote:
Is it possible to lower boost a little?

No. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Actually knock & temp are outliers, I tend to be 195-205 and have phantom knock I can usually feather out on the pedal. WG is Tial 38mm, curious what data bit causes you to ask?

Boost set to ~26 and looking clean, redialing everything again today. Really appreciate the input!

beaner

Well, your map sensor is showing the boost jumping between 20 and 25 throughout the pull. I was thinking the wastegate was weird or maybe the boost controller. Is the map hooked independently close to the IM plenum? Maybe lowering it would get boost more consistent and then you could work on your timing.

mikus

well I'll be, that is jumpy - looking at other logs it's jumpy everywhere. I've got WG springs & better MBC's -- maybe should see if I can smooth that out

MAP is tapped in, solo, on the far end of the IM like so (not mine)
aem1gim.jpg

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned