The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

E-brake cable?

Captn

Anyone know where I can buy an e brake cable or the correct size of them? mine just snapped on me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif so sad.

Leon_R

It is worth mentionning that this particular part is CHEAPER from the dealer than from most aftermarket sourses! You would be crazy to buy non-OEM parts!

MellowVR4

i got mine from NAPA. had to look it up for a eagle 2000gtx but i found them and they bolt right up

DR1665

Loosely Related: Can the factory e-brake cable be extended? Or could the handle be removed and a second fulcrum be installed closer to the center stack?

quick sketch:

I'm thinking I might snag another e-brake handle and base, cut a couple feet of the cable out with it, and then graft the two together. I want the e-brake handle to be directly beside the steering wheel (3 o'clock) but do not want to drop a couple hundred bucks on an overkill second master and all that.

TIA.

raptorWagon

Quoting Leon_R:
It is worth mentionning that this particular part is CHEAPER from the dealer than from most aftermarket sourses! You would be crazy to buy non-OEM parts!

Lol, availability comes into play there as well, just because it can had from the dealer doesn't mean it's readily in stock. It took about 2 months to get my cables in from the Dealer. Mitsubishi USA doesn't keep much for 20yr old cars these days in stock anymore.

RedTwo

Quoting DR1665:
Loosely Related: Can the factory e-brake cable be extended? Or could the handle be removed and a second fulcrum be installed closer to the center stack?

quick sketch:

I'm thinking I might snag another e-brake handle and base, cut a couple feet of the cable out with it, and then graft the two together. I want the e-brake handle to be directly beside the steering wheel (3 o'clock) but do not want to drop a couple hundred bucks on an overkill second master and all that.

TIA.

You could do it, just have to decide how you do it.
The two handbrake cables come out of the floor and join into a Y piece which is attached by a threaded rod to the base of handbrake lever (pivots at the base). I've got some photos of the junction in the lazy ass build thread.
If you take the cables to someone who does the rigging on/for boat sails they can either fabricate new or splice the old ones into longer cables.
Or you can use a coupling nut to join the factory threaded rod with a longer section of threaded rod. The problem with this is it requires the base of the handle to be near the original height.

DR1665

Thanks, mate. I'll have to take a look-see at the would-be mounting location for the new handle. I'm pretty sure they're the same height, but worth mentioning.

Cheers!

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned