The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Doing carrier bearing install right now...have questions

CP

That's as far as I got. Toybreaker has been helping with suggestions, but I didn't have time yesterday to continue. The lobro is pretty solidly attached to the thin aluminum cap with the rubber boot in it. Is that what you're talking about?

Remember that my lobro AND that cap with the boot are both getting replaced with new parts. The only part that gets re-used is the portion that's bolted to the other section of driveshaft (the rear-most section) and can be seen in the photos all shiny and clean.

Armitage

Right, but what I think is happening here is you're pushing and pulling the assembly at the same time with the gear puller. What I recommend trying is clamping the lobro in a vice and then using a punch or chisel and a hammer and tapping lightly around the circumference of the flange. With all the bolts removed, those pieces are just pressed together and should come apart pretty easily. Once you remove the lobro from the flange, you should be able to remove the flange from the drive shaft.

14u2nV

Old bump, what did you put in the lobro joint when you put it back together? Just regular bearing grease?

CP

Basically. I use Redline CV2 for all my grease applications.

14u2nV

I don't know how much trouble you ended up having on the lobro joint, but the way I got it was to hang the tube off the side of the bench and use a mini sledge with a bar that fit down through the splines. Came off with about 3 hits.

prove_it

I did mine about 5 years ago and I don't remember how I did it exactly but I think I took mine apart the same way. I know I only had trouble when reassembling the joint. The balls all twist in which made it tricky.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned