The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Do I need an oil cooler?

Kenny_Kline

I installed a 90 style oil filter housing. Currently, I just have the lines looped. I will be driving about 4 hours round trip next month to go to the track. Should I get a cooler? If so, what size cooler will do the job?

4thStroke

You dont need one. Its never a bad choice, though.

I run the oilcooler-less OFH. Its what the shop had in stock at the time and I wanted my motor back.

*EDIT* If you are road racing, run one an oil cooler. Either one of those should work just fine, its up to you how large you want to go with it.

Last edited:

Barnes

From what I've seen, unless it is really hot, or you are driving really hard, you don't need the oil cooler. I think the biggest rational is that the stock sandwich oil cooler is so pathetic it does almost nothing except for the most exceptional circumstances.

I would think as long as you are doing some normal driving(highway?) all the way there you would be fine.

However, someone needs to back me up on this.

Polish

I don't think it's really a yes or no type question.

Way way to many variables.

I say, yes you do. Because at some point or another anyone with a decent powered 4g is gonna do a top end run of some form of extended periods hard driving where the oil temperatures would increase substantially and with no cooler there would be nothing to stop them from getting REALLY hot. I guess you don't *need* one but I wouldn't have anything short of a 1/4 mile at a time only car without one. And as for size, look how small the stock 90' air/air is that people *upgrade* to... It's minuscule, almost any aftermarket cooler will easily do what it does and more.

Barnes

I think he is just talking for this trip specifically. I think. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

thecman02

I'll back you up if that is worth anything haha. The original OFH can go bad causing a nice milkshake in the oil. It also works like dick for cooling. Everyone that loves their engine would be wise to switch to the 90 style and get an external cooler. They are cheap.

Kenny_Kline

I guess I already knew the answer to my question, I just wanted to hear some feedback because I have been driving around without one for a few months now.

I really havent driven the car hard at all but I plan to make numerous passes next month at the track.

Everyone made some really good points. I will get a small cooler to do the job that way if temps ever do get high, the oil will have some method of cooling down or not getting as hot.

I think an oil temperatuere gauge would be overkill but I may just grab one to monitor it and also at the same time, it will look like my car is faster because I have an extra cool gauge in my car.

CarRacer

It wouldn't be a bad idea to run one. I don't see it as an issue under normal driving circumstances but if you want to have any fun I'd get one.

My understanding on the stock cooler is that it does a great job of heating the oil during the first few minutes of running during the winter. It will act as a stopgap for overheating but can only do so much.

Anyways the turbo is generating a lot of heat and is oil cooled so synthetic and a cooler would probably help make it's life easier.

You don't need one for this trip, but when you do decide to get one don't bother with the stock one. You can get a brand new one that is much larger from many different companies. I have a B&M myself, but Mocal probably makes the best by far.

You don't need one. Remember that our cars came without one from the factory for the US models. Is it a good idea to put one on, absolutely.

I would recommend gettign one if you can afford it.

I've seen a thread on here where one guy purchased a mocal unit and it looked really nice. Pricey though. Here.

I have a B&M oil cooler but if I could do it again I would get the mocal or Setrab. B&M is Here. 8x11 is what I have. I did not buy a kit, I pieced it together myself. Do a search for oil cooler in tech and you will find the AN sizes that you need.

Setrab Here.

I didn't buy from any of these companies, just posting them so you can see them and decide.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned