The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

dime store anti lag device

Carl Morris here in Colorado thought that the Anti-Lag was awesome, that was until he snapped his turbo shaft in half (sleeper 16). Maybe he will see this and post pictures.

i have seen/heard about that months ago.. i'm not too worried about that though.. i honestly believe that to be some sort of fluke

working on some sort of makeshift schematic now... i will first explain it with the wire colors and where they go (using a 1g DSM pwr/eco switch)

there are two black wires.. these power the light.. one goes to ground, one goes to power.. your choice.. it matters not which way you wire these, so long as you dont run the ground to the exact same place you're running the ground for the switch itself.. which happens to be a RED wire for our purposes. You can ground this anywhere that seems like a good solid earth (ground) connection. Then you use the GREEN with WHITE stripe for the LOGGER GROUND(the bottom connection in the DLC) and no longer connect the bottom wire to the DLC.. it goes straight to the switch. In the UP position this closes the circuit, grounding this wire to chassis. Now, you have one wire left over, and it's GREEN with a RED stripe... this goes all the way up thru the firewall, and into your timing set terminal. In the DOWN position, this creates an OPEN circuit for the logger ground and CLOSED circuit from the TIMING SET connection to EARTH/GROUND

The pwr/eco switches out of DSMs have diff. harnesses than a Galant, but same color coded wires at the switch. Either will work fine. You need to take out the little nose ring stud thing inside the switch that holds it down when you press it though.. i'll provide a couple pics if needed.

Last edited by a moderator:

Larry Parker

Wounder if it could be run with a micro switch on the throttle so when one lifted the timing would retard and a throttle prop could provide a bit of TP angle.........creating SWEET lift ALS..... bang bang pop.........

See this 2 meg vid for it in use.....:)
http://www.realautosport.com/pics/STPRVids/2.mov

Larry

RayH

Quote:
Carl Morris here in Colorado thought that the Anti-Lag was awesome, that was until he snapped his turbo shaft in half (sleeper 16). Maybe he will see this and post pictures.

I think the issue with anti-lag is that there's no feedback control to the wastegate when it's operating. This along with minimal compression resistance since the BOV will be open, makes it really easy to overspin the turbo probably followed by a massive boost spike when the throttle is re-opened if the exhaust isn't well controlled.

Larry Parker

Massive boost spike /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif just what im looking for!!!!

Quote:
Quote:

I think the issue with anti-lag is that there's no feedback control to the wastegate when it's operating. This along with minimal compression resistance since the BOV will be open, makes it really easy to overspin the turbo probably followed by a massive boost spike when the throttle is re-opened if the exhaust isn't well controlled.

I have had no issues with this "spiking" more than 1-2 psi over my set boost level.. but then again, i am running a Tial 38mm gate (manifold mounted), a Blitz DSBC-R EBC, and an HKS BOV. I highly doubt the BOV is open, due to the design.. and the Blitz keeps boost under control VERY well.

RayH

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I have had no issues with this "spiking" more than 1-2 psi over my set boost level.. but then again, i am running a Tial 38mm gate (manifold mounted), a Blitz DSBC-R EBC, and an HKS BOV. I highly doubt the BOV is open, due to the design.. and the Blitz keeps boost under control VERY well.

Sorry, I was thinking about anti-lag used between shifts while lifting the throttle. In your case my concern would be about the intercooler getting heat soaked before the car gets moving.

i understand where you're coming from. But this button setup is for launch control only.. as far as i am concerned.

It works REALLY nicely on the freeway though.. the noise will get just about anyone to bite for a race.. and when they punch it.. it's priceless seeing the look on your "opponent's" face as your car jumps forward and just keeps on keepin on, with the nose pointed skyward!

Larry, you've got enough ways to break parts...let some other guys have some fun... Besides, the cloud of FOD you leave behind that car makes everyone else following you get flat tires...you don't need to set them on fire as well!!! (LOL)
Dave

supervr4

Has anybody else tried this yet?

I have a hooked it up, and when I press the button the idle drops off yet when I bring the revs up nothing happens /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Hertz

Staff member
*rehash* I want to move this into the archive... IF it works. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Quote:

I still think it's awesome, but I more careful with it now. I run it at around 10*BTDC fixed, and I think that's OK with my Evo3 16g. I was running it at 6* when I broke the S16g. I notice the popping/banging sound that was very loud at 6 degrees isn't really there at 10 degrees, and I was told that's the key to knowing how much abuse you're putting the turbo through. Here's the link to the old thread with the pictures:

Thread 40786

Reading through it, it sounds like I experiment with 0 degrees at some point, now I'm forgetting where it was set when it broke.

It did sound really nasty (in a good way) Carl. We will have to play around with low timing on my big shaft turbo. Maybe we can get it to spool that way /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Everyone needs to check out the thread that Carl posted a link to. Broken parts rock.

Everyone should seriously considered cryo treating. It's a hidden gem. Some people think it's snake oil, but it really works. It's cheap, too.

I am going to use ffwd connection the next time I need to cryo something. It's the shiznit.

twkd

Quote:
It did sound really nasty (in a good way) Carl. We will have to play around with low timing on my big shaft turbo. Maybe we can get it to spool that way /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Oh, I guarantee it :). The difference on the stutterbox between normal timing and retarded timing was amazing. On that poor Sleeper 16g it was the difference between about 8psi versus opening the wastegate. That's how I finally got in the 1.6x 60' times and broke my 3 bolt axles :).

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned