The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Differences between Galant models?

Vr4Ape35

Looking at another car today. Possible donor car for my rusted rockers and various other holes that need patching. Car is listed as a 1990 gvr4, over texts owner says it’s a 1989 and only 2000 imported (I know that’s just the 91s) but it doesn’t have the badge. I’m not sure they know exactly what they have. I’m in the US, it’s LHD and has the same body style. Thinking maybe it’s a GSX that was turbo’d? Can anyone give me some pointers on how to distinguish the differences in galant models? Hard to find any information on anything that isn’t a VR4. They posted a horrible picture of the side that doesn’t give anything away, but I’ll show the picture of the engine bay they had up also. I see they have the battery in a different spot but nothing I’ve looked up shows a galant with the battery there so assuming it was done by the owner. If this ends up being a more rust free gvr4 I might just keep this one and part out the rusty one sitting in my driveway. Thanks in advance.

IMG_8691.png

gvr4ever

The VIN# should tell you what it is. Oddly, the valve cover is the correct color.

misterfixit

Doesn’t the 89 have a different lower dash and manual seat belts? The g-gsx didn’t have 4wheel steering either

gvr4ever

Can't remember if it was 3006 or 3008. I'd imagine at least 2 were used for front and side crash testing. Not sure if they had roll over testing back then. Don't know if they had to crash test 1991 and 1992 cars. Others might have been preproduction press cars, executive cars. It might be that only 3000 were sold to the public in the US. Not sure anyone knows for sure.

The picture appears to show the four wheel steering PS reservoir is present. It's hard to believe that someone would go to the bother of retrofitting the troublesome, and primitive, compared to the newer systems, four wheel steering into a GGSX. The most likely explanation would be that the seller doesn't know what year the car is. The simplest explanation is it's a debadged GVR4. However, anything is possible, these cars have been around the block for a long time.

turbomister2

I actually bought a car that was a vr4. A YouTuber got his hands on it and started bashing the seller saying he converted a gsx to a vr4 replica. Lo and behold it was an actual vr4 that someone probably started parting out or donated some parts to another vr4 they had

raptorWagon

If anything that firewall plate will tell you too immediately. Chassis code for USDM 6g GVR4 is E39A, E38A for GGSX. There were 3009 imported between 91-92, 9 unbadged (upwards of 30k built from 87-92 globally) The badges have no correlation to the VINs anyway, unless it was owned by someone on this board and they sent the info to iceman for the registery. Badges were dished out at random in port.

Battery location is often moved to that spot to allow the turbo intake pipe to sit in the old battery location.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned