The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Did compression test...to justify timing belt change. :P

I'm very excited...without a compression test, you never know for sure how healthy your engine is. And timing belt change was coming up since I am just about at 120k now. So I had it checked and was happy to see close to 150 across the board.

Was a bit shocked at how expensive all the parts are for the timing belt, but am glad to have that done. Now I know the engine is healthy and a good timintg belt.

SmoothCustomer

Did you buy an oem water pump too? Kinda sucks spending $140 on a part you can get for $30 at an auto parts store.

Yeah, I bought all OEM parts so the whole job with all new belts was $480 just in parts. But I figured with an engine this healthy, might as well do it using good parts. I'd like to make this original engine last.

I would never put an aftermarket water pump on my baby. I save money on auto store parts when I can
but there are just some things you buy oem waterpump, oil pump are two just my 2 cents good choice.

Quoting SmoothCustomer:
Did you buy an oem water pump too? Kinda sucks spending $140 on a part you can get for $30 at an auto parts store.

fuel

depending on the brand of pump, I would run an aftermarket pump. Here in NZ, often the Mitsubishi dealers will supply and fit 'approved aftermarket' items such as GMB water pumps, as the price for OEM pumps are just far too expensive and customers generally refuse and go elsewhere - they have to compete with all the small time garages somehow. Sometimes I've found OEM Mitsubishi parts to be cheaper than the aftermarket alternative! It certainly pays to shop around.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned