The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

detailed wheels today.

quicktsi

Let me start with, the tires are being replaced tomorrow. Also remember this is the car that sat for 6 years before I got it. I will list my details below.

I used a two bucket method to clean the wheels. I used 400 grit wet sand paper to clean the inside of the wheel and the outside lip of the wheel. The wet sanding did not get it perfect but at least knocked off the surface corrosion, and made it smooth to the touch. I then used a poweball with Poorboys SSR1 polish, on the painted areas of the wheels and caps. I then used Poorboys wheel wax on the inside and outside of the wheels and caps. I think they turned out okay for 20 year old wheels.

Here is how they looked when I started.
IMG_0350.jpg

Up close of the front.
IMG_0352.jpg

Up close of the back.
IMG_0348.jpg

Here is a pic of the front washed versus unwashed.
IMG_0354.jpg

Here is a pic of the rear wet sanded versus unwashed.
IMG_0353.jpg

Here is a pic of polished versus unpolished.
IMG_0355.jpg

Here is a picture of the set done and waxed.
IMG_0356.jpg

Here is a picture of the set done and waxed showing one of the rears.
IMG_0357.jpg

89Mirageman

Great job man! I have always liked the look of the original wheels on these cars. They look like new ones.

blacksheep

Does wet sanding take off any of the factory coating (if it isn't all gone already). Guess what I am asking is - would the wet sanding make the finish worse in the long run etc?

quicktsi

Quote:
Does wet sanding take off any of the factory coating (if it isn't all gone already). Guess what I am asking is - would the wet sanding make the finish worse in the long run etc?

Not sure if any factory coating remained. My thought was to get the corrosion off. I usually use a wheel brush to clean the inside of the wheels when I wash my car, so hopefully it will keep them clean. My wife says I will probably replace the wheels anyway.

NickDromez

those look good. u need some new tires tho, i see alot of cracking

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned