The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Cut out the center section of the front bumper? Yes or no?

rexwagon1909

Ok so time to make the call trim out the center portion of my VR4 bumper or not. I'm running a 6266 with a 27x12x3in intercooler. I think for airflow I need to trim out the center sections slats. Anyone have a similar setup that didn't cut out the center section? What say you?

rdomeck

I trimmed out the black portion of mine. Left the body color pieces so you can't really tell it is cut open unless you look closely. I glued some stainless steel rods into the back side with some good body adhesive. If you look at it like this, there are 9 opening's I believe, cutting out 4 of them gives you more than 40% more open area! Just do it correctly and with some care or don't do it at all....

rexwagon1909

Took too long to respond already done. Actually when I pulled the bumper just now we found previous owner had already made a couple cuts about 2 inches each in length. The car is a GGSX so I think it will be ok. I wouldn't had cut had the previous owner not already hacked it up /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

rexwagon1909

I think I may contemplate custom making a black mesh exactly like evo 8 that will fill in the void on the VR4 bumper. I think it could look good we shall see what I can do

IncorpoRatedX

Quoting rexwagon1909:
Took too long to respond already done. Actually when I pulled the bumper just now we found previous owner had already made a couple cuts about 2 inches each in length. The car is a GGSX so I think it will be ok. I wouldn't had cut had the previous owner not already hacked it up /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

those were actually there from the person i got the bumper from.

steve

Quoting rexwagon1909:
Took too long to respond

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif Dude had his first response in 44 minutes, but that was too long. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif

IncorpoRatedX

Quoting rexwagon1909:
Please don't come these on threads trying to defend yourself over the condition of the car.

Wasnt defending myself, came to the thread to say 'don't cut out the slats!' and low and behold, you had cut them out...

The cuts on that bumper were not from me, not that it matters, but I have never liked the look of the lower grill removed. I bought one car that came with it removed and lived with it, but I experimented once on my blue GGSX by trying to cut all but 1/4 inch of the blocked piece, leaving the grill there but reducing the blocked airflow, it came out ok, but was a pain in the ass to do.

100_5331.jpg

rexwagon1909

Its cool sorry for jumping on you. I wish I had kept it like that, some of cuts on the bumper were already angled in a way that I really couldnt. Hopefully I dont regret it when its back on the car. I am kicking the idea around of a light mesh

IncorpoRatedX

that would probably be just the right amount of fill for the area to not look like it's been chopped out.

Not sure what look you're going for in the end but it's on the road to a very clean and subtle exterior with one hell of a monster under the hood. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif

prove_it

Quoting rexwagon1909:
I think I may contemplate custom making a black mesh exactly like evo 8 that will fill in the void on the VR4 bumper. I think it could look good we shall see what I can do

Evo mesh could be made to fit.... However it's around 100 bucks from the dealer.

trunks

If you do the mesh please post pics. The jdm bumper I bought is cut out and now I kind of wish I would have got one that wasn't. I don't think I've ever seen one with that done on here and am curious how it looks.

strokin4dr

Here are a couple of examples of mesh added to a cut up bumper that I found from searching the board.

I think it looks fine on a jdm bumper. Doubt it would flow as nicely on a usdm though.

EMX5636

I cut out the black too, but left little strips to keep them from sagging. Took a while, but I think it looks the best when done. I really like the USDM front bumper.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned