The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Coil On Plug Ignition System

im thinking of buying Buchurs Coil On Plug Ignition System fr my galant, would i have to do anything to my ignition of my car to run this click

well wuld it be better is i did the COP setup or just get a new coilpack? my buddy told me hes running a COP and he said it works pretty good, but he also have a AMS tuned Evo 9 MR, what would you suggest?

turbowop

Do you need a new coilpack? A COP setup isn't going to gain you anything unless you add an ignition box.

I suggest you find a used, but good coilpack if yours is bad.

onesickcrx

To answer your question no you do not need anything else it is a straight bolt on enjoy /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I agree a good ignition like the Dynatek ARC-2 would be beneficial

toybreaker

iconoclast
I'm with Mark on this one.

The stock ignition, with a good coil pack wires and correctly gapped plugs is more than good enough for 98% of the cars on here.

It's also, cheap, simple, easy to troubleshoot, and parts are available anywhere you might be if you have issues.

Whiz bang ignition systems are cool and all, and definately have their place, but on anyhting but a fully built vr4 I think the money is better spent elsewhere.

turbowop

I agree that it looks nice. I just don't think it's worth it when you hear about all the problems that can sometime arise from using them without an aftermarket ignition box.

Brianawd

Quote:
I just don't think it's worth it when you hear about all the problems that can sometime arise from using them without an aftermarket ignition box.

Those problems have long since been gone. They were from people trying to build there own COP and not getting them wired right. People ended up thinking the coils were to weak and so they added the ignition box. It only masked the problem for a short time.

Now I have a COP set up that I have been running on my car for the last 3 years. Did I need it? The answer is no, but it made using a SMIM much easier. Have I ever had any problems with it? No I have not. Never once have I had the car brake up or miss. Even when running 30+psi on E85 with my plugs gapped to .28. To me that is good seeing that a lot of people running stock coil will some times have to gap them down to .23-.25 to keep from blowing out the spark.

I also like the fact that if for some reason, I ever have a coil go bad I can find one at almost any auto parts store because they are a Chrysler coil.

Last edited:

turbowop

Brian, I know you haven't had any issues with yours, but you can't deny the amount of n00bs that put them on just for looks and end up having issues. That is my only point when I ask people their reasons for wanting such a setup.

That said, I think they're great if you're installing a SMIM and need to lose the coil pack for a cleaner install. I may even do this in the future when my plug wires go bad because making my own custom length wires is a pain in my ass.

Last edited:

Brianawd

^^^^
Yes I know but I also stated that the problems stems from people building there own and not getting them wired the right way.

Brianawd

Quote:
I thought you had something other than stock ignition. Good to know I guess.

Nope just the COP. But I may pick up a ARC-2 this winter. Want to see if that will let me open up my gap to say .32-.34

prove_it

Didn't we just dicuss COP systems in another thread?

prove_it

Yea, but just the other day?

You can do it cheaper. You just have to find the right coilpacks, buy a plate, and then wire them. Easier said than done for most people. Im sure Buschur uses brand new coilpacks though.

boostedinaz

I did one on my Talon just because it cleaned up the look of the engine bay. The only real improvement I felt from them was a smoother idle. Other than that they worked just like the stock parts.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned