The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

clay under hood sounds crazy but please look!!!!

seizer

The title may have thrown some of you guys off but here is my problem...
I bought this hood from a member a while back and it was used for the cf hood group buy iirc and there was clay wedged between the hood frame. I used some skinny cake knife and got most of it out but a lot of loose pieces fell through the frame to the frontend of the hood.
Im looking for suggestions to get rid of it so it can be painted.
pics below. Thanks

Barnes

It's hard to tell, but that looks like some type of glue or epoxy that holds the two hood pieces together. The last pic *really* looks like the two pieces are coming apart. Don't get upset yet, I might be totally wrong. Let's wait till some other folks weigh in.

^True. If you continue to scratch that stuff off, you might actually get an unpleassant surprise. I'm pretty sure that it's some sort of stuff that holds the hood and the "inner piece" together, so if you continue scratching it off, you might actually end up with 2 seperate pieces....

it is an epoxy. it joins the hood skeleton to the hood skin(outside) if you seperate them the only thing holding the two parts together is along the edges of the hood.... making the center of your hood bend in easier and much easier to dent. i would advise against removing the glue.

seizer

well its like putty i got a huge pile of it cleared out its still moist and molds like clay the hood looks in great condition. I was thinking of power spraying it with water but i trying to see if there is a chemical base solution i can use to break it down and rinse. When it was shipped to me i assumed the clay was used to block anything from entering between those spaces when they used it for the carbon fiber hood molds /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif.
EDIT: this is not a cf hood its a jdm hood

Last edited:

jepherz

Staff member
Quoting seizer:
I bought this hood from a member a while back and it was used for the cf hood group buy iirc and there was clay wedged between the hood frame.

Clay is used to fill gaps when making CF or fiberglass parts.

boosted_85

Is the clay really soft or hard? If its hard you can take a hair drier to soften the clay and slowing scrape away the big chunks and wipe the tighter areas with a terry cloth, that's how we clean clay out of our master patterns. Also if you want to, you can use 3m panel bond and seal up the inner skin to the outer. The hood might gain a couple of lbs.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Quoting jepherz:
Quoting seizer:
I bought this hood from a member a while back and it was used for the cf hood group buy iirc and there was clay wedged between the hood frame.

Clay is used to fill gaps when making CF or fiberglass parts.

I think Jeff hit on it. There is body sealer used to hold the hood inner to the outer (prevent rattling really) when the hood is assembled, but that is just in spots, not along entire seams.

holeshotmoe

Since it is still pliable, it probably IS clay. Good chance the framing was vibrating against the exterior hood surface, making a racket. (But I can't believe someone would use non-setting material???) Use a pressure washer to remove it, clean very well with thinner, reapply the correct bonding agent (e.g., this ), then prep for paint.

seizer

Yeah this stuff makes a mess I have gotten about a lb. + of this clay out. A thinner and a power spray is what I was thinking of doing. Thanks for the link ill check it out when I get home. As far as thinner is there a specific kind i should be looking for? Thanks everybody for the input. I can't wait to get this done!

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned