The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Cast Manifolds....

Quote:
Harry, you and Nate are old timers like me. Have you ever had a chance to see an original HKS T4 manifold and see what type of w/g flange is on there? I dont know of any HKS w/g that uses the 2 bolt flange, I think the last original one I saw in person was more than a couple years ago and I swear it had something else other than a 2 bolts w/g flange, or maybe it was me who forgot things.

I have had two HKS manifolds in my hands both had the two bolt flanges. I guess the person to ask would be Mike P. he has owned quite a few of them......
Here are some more pics, these I know are original HKS's as well during I believe Shannon's build:

DarkDevilMMM

hmm.... it said it was originally design for the GVR4, but will the wastegate clear teh water pipes and larger turbo? seems like it's a bit crowded back there

"hmm.... it said it was originally design for the GVR4, but will the wastegate clear teh water pipes and larger turbo? seems like it's a bit crowded back there"

With the original cast "tube" the wastegatte fits fine. The wastegate is swung to the underside of the manifold near the block and the dump gets run directly into the exhaust. Most people don't use the tube, mostly becasue they don't have one, secondly they can have eazy access to the wstegate and or open dump with a custom pipe that moves the wastgate to other places.
More info here:
more info

CO VR4

Ducktape's pics are of original HKS manifolds. His is unused, -- brand new, never installed.

You can see the difference between the HKS originals and the copies -- the copies don't have the bosses on the top for the heatshields. Look at the pictures at OnGreen Performance's website in the link noted above by someone else. The bosses were left off the casting mold when they copied the original, because nobody ever used them. As far as I know, the copies shown on the OnGreen page were the only copies that were ever marketed in the US, so the presence or absence of the heat shield bosses is a useful way to differentiate the originals from the copies. I seem to remember that they also changed the mold in some other small ways, perhaps including a change in the spacing of the wastegate flange.

BTW, the original HKS manifold was make as part of an HKS "sport kit" for the VR4. The kit had an optional cast iron downpipe, which had routing for the wastegate, etc. If you didn't buy the optional cast downpipe, the usual method of installation was to build an extender pipe 6-9" long, flanged on one end to match the manifold wastegate flange, and on the other to match the wastegate of choice. That way the wastegate was placed whereever it fit best with the other bolt-on parts, including the turbo selection.

I've seen a number of HKS manifolds that have been modified by the owners who welded on the extension instead of using the flanged pipe alternative. Some folks think this is great; others prefer not to weld on their manifold. Personal preference...

Last edited:

Eighty9TSI

So is the consensus that the Ongreen performance copy is a good copy of the original HKS mani, minus the bosses?

CO VR4

I can't comment on the OnGreen manifold, other than to repeat what their claims are and describe what the obvious casting differences are. I don't know anyone who has one, or who has personal experience with the casting itself. Perhaps someone who actually has one of these manifolds can comment.

number3

Quote:
Harry, you and Nate are old timers like me. Have you ever had a chance to see an original HKS T4 manifold and see what type of w/g flange is on there?

Yes and what has been stated above is correct.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned