The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Carbon Fibre Hoods and Trunks ... Hardcore Racers Only!

cheekychimp

Okay, this is more a request for help than an offer for hoods and trunks. Before anyone gets excited, let's make it clear that the hoods and trunks we are talking about are not show car pieces. These are functional lightweight body 'panels' designed for motor sport, not for posers/ricers.

A long time ago a very well respected member of this forum created some molds for carbon fibre trunks and hoods to go on his rally car. They were extremely light, vented and designed so as to be easy to reproduce/replace if and when the rally car got bent.

This is one of the hoods which against better advice is going to get cleaned up and put on my car if it ever gets finished.

img.php

Now the molds for the hoods and the trunk ended up with one of our members in the PNW who is frankly fed up with them taking up space in his garage. No one wants to buy them or pick them up and they are in imminent danger of ending up in a skip/crusher.

I'd like to save them, but frankly being this far away in Hong Kong there is not a lot I can do. I have however contacted Karter and offered to buy these and find a way to take them off his hands so we can preserve them. The molds are pretty large (see below) but they still fall within the maximum dimensions allowed by Greyhound (just!) and could therefore be shipped by Greyhound relatively cheaply.

I am willing to foot the shipping bill. What I need is a member who has space to store these for a significant period of time who could collect these from a Greyhound station and keep them safe. I am NOT adverse to someone using the molds to make hoods. If you did so I would not expect you to do so for free. I am adverse to the idea of someone trying to cash in on this picking up some free molds and then charging a premium for CF hoods which to be honest most members won't be happy with as these are light but rather rough around the edges. Ideally we would be looking to help and support members on the forum who are racing in autocross drag or circuit competitions and looking for genuine weight reduction. However if you know nothing about producing CF or FG stuff but would just like to help by storing these somewhere safe until someone else who can make use of them turns up, that would be very cool. My main objective right now is simply to save these from the crusher.

Is anyone willing to help out?

blacksheep

Sounds lame, but if I had the townhome and basement, I would gladly store it for the board. Right now, I am in an apartment and no space to spare. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif Sorry, Paulie!

CarRacer

Pops just sold the horses at his place and finished out that section of that barn with a concrete floor. I'm not speaking for him but I could ask about storing them. It's not heated storage but it's out of the elements.

IncorpoRatedX

i've got a lot of room, but i dont see many people needing hoods with vents like that, infact, i'd rather enjoy seeing it put in the crusher... if you're hardcore, you get a stock appearing carbon hood and cut holes where you need them and rivet vents into place.

it's really not that difficult to get a mold made... maybe you should look into that and compare the price of getting a non-gay hood mold made vs shipping the gay hood mold?

cheekychimp

I appreciate your comments KC, living in a cramped apartment myself, I know the feeling.

James, thanks, please do ask. Someone like yourself really is the perfect candidate.

vapid

Give me the actual dimensions of the molds, and I can give you an answer if I will/can store them.

BrandonEchols

I'm in AK, so I don't know about getting them here via greyhound.
But I'll store them if you get them to me.

cheekychimp

I think it depends on your setup Josh. Teet had an oil cooler right under the drivers side vent similar to where Terry has his but Teet's was horizontal right under the airflow. The other two vents I don't see a problem with, main one right over the turbo/exhaust manifold to let heat escape with cool air coming in the grille and under the hood and the other one right above the filter element ... where else would you want vents /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Storing them wouldn't be an issue, proper packaging would be. Ideally they'd have to be crated, which takes a bit of effort to do right. I'll take some pics and email you.

cheekychimp

Max dims on the trunk mold are 24" deep, 42" wide, and 74" roughly long.

Max dims on the hood are smaller, both parts should be less than 100 lbs.

IncorpoRatedX

Quoting cheekychimp:
I think it depends on your setup Josh. Teet had an oil cooler right under the drivers side vent similar to where Terry has his but Teet's was horizontal right under the airflow. The other two vents I don't see a problem with, main one right over the turbo/exhaust manifold to let heat escape with cool air coming in the grille and under the hood and the other one right above the filter element ... where else would you want vents /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

I wouldn't. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

jepherz

Staff member
Man, I know 14u2nv mentioned he'd take them if they arrived at his door. I'm close enough and would like to mess with them too.... Seems like the vents could be fixed however, or event FG pieces could be made and then the vents removed in the final product. I don't know much about fiberglassing, but I've always wanted to try!

blacksheep

No offense, but Kenny disappeared off the board for months - I think whoever has them will probably need to be more available and accessible to the board. Else, paranoia and other negative concerns may arise.

14u2nV

um, that was over a year ago, and jepherz knows where I live. I never changed any of my contact info in that time, so finding me is easy.

Offer still stands, I'll store them if they can get here.

kartorium

Whatever is decided just let me know.

One option to save money on shipping would be to toss the trunk mold out. From what Teeter told me it isn't as nice as the hood, but still works for a race only product. The trunk mold is extremely bulky compared to the hood.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
I may get killed for saying so, but I could also possibly store them.

SouthCaliVR4

I can also keep them safe for a couple years if need be, I have extra storage in the attic of my garage & am not going anywhere for at least a few years, I'm also close enough to the port of Los Angeles to have them shipped over-seas if you decide you want them in your possession Paul.

Let me know.

Wouldnt it be better to have someone else who lives in PNW I am assuming the pacific north west pick them up from Karter? Why risk getting them damaged during shipping if they a are that important. Surely there must be other members in the area??? Seems like the simple solution to me but what do I know I am just a dweeb lol.

Last edited by a moderator:

ktmrider

Quoting Blown1:
Wouldnt it be better to have someone else who lives in PNW I am assuming the pacific north west pick them up fron Karter? Why risk getting them damaged during shipping if they a are that important. Surely there must be other members in the area???

Yeah why don't we have whopper put them on 1051 for awhile?!? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
Seriously tho keeping them near the current location OR near a major western shipping port ( LA, Seattle, etc ) does sound like a good idea.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned