The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Car Starts but Stalls Immediately after Built Engine Install

Chad989of2000

Again, thank you so much for all the advice guys. Can't wait to get her up and running. It has been...way...too...long.

strokin4dr

Then this is definitely one of your issues. I bet they are frozen shut! Check for signal first before pulling them though.
-Ryan

Quoting Chad989of2000:
Quoting iceman69510:
Quoting Chad989of2000:
Should have mentioned...brand new FIC 1100cc injectors.

Are they the same new parts installed back in 2015? If so, they have sat with fuel having been run through them at some point. If different than those installed then, disregard.

They are the same from back in 2015. Never had gas run through them...only E85. I've heard that ethanol can get a little gunky over time. I can certainly send them to FIC to get a cleaning and flow check and cross that off my list of possible issues.

89Mirageman

You can fab up a simple tool to clean injectors. Think it's on Jafromobiles youtube videos. While it may not be as good as the guys with professional equipment, it should at least let you know if that's your issue or not. I fabbed up one to clean the oe injectors from the 89 Raider I had a few years back and it worked perfectly.

Chad989of2000

Finally got a few minutes on the car today...a 1 year old and life stuff can sure get in the way.
Took the battery off the tender and threw it in. I then attempted to start it up but it wouldn't even turn over. Checked the battery and got 12.34 volts, but clearly the amperage wasn't there. So first thing on my list is a new battery.

Chad989of2000

Also knocked out a compression test just for shits and giggles...numbers look very solid.

Chad989of2000

Images from top to bottom in cylinder order 1 to 4.

Rrohde84

something that you can try is spraying a little starting fluid or carb cleaner through a vacuum line while someone start the car to see if it fires off. at least you will know if it is a fuel issue or not. I did this when my car was acting the same way. once I sprayed the cleaner through a vacuum line it fired off and I knew I had a fuel issue. just a suggestion

Chad989of2000

I will try to get her going with the new battery, but yeah that starter fluid trick is a good one. I will definitely try that if it still won't turn over.

Injectors were getting signal just fine. If the new battery does not start it up, I will be getting the injectors cleaned and flow tested.

FlyingEagle

Staff member
For sure the injectors do not like sitting/being used with high ethanol content, and then being stationary for lengthy periods of time.
Let us know how it goes after the injectors are given a clean bill of health. wink wink

Chad989of2000

Chad989of2000

The photos speak volumes about just how gunked up the injectors were.

Chad989of2000

Also when I pulled the rail up, the tops of the injectors stayed attached. Is this okay? They seem to be stuck to the rail really well.

strokin4dr

I called that one /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

As far as sticking in the rail, I've had lots of injectors do that. Some to the point where the oring is destroyed removing them.
I would send those back to FIC for cleaning. Hopefully they can be saved. Ethanol can potentially do some damage.

It sucks, but glad it was something simple. You should be up and running in no time. Since you see the condition of the injectors and rail, I would open up the rest of the fuel system and clean everything thoroughly before trying to start it again. Inside of tank condition and fuel pump would be my biggest concern.

Last edited:

Chad989of2000

Haha for sure. I will also be replacing the fuel filter (FuelLab unit) to be safe. Pulling pump and rail for inspection too. I drained the tank completely and re-filled with clean gas. Off to FIC to clean and will report their findings. Thanks again all.

Chad989of2000

Quite probably replacing some fuel system components. Any tips for cleaning this gunk out...brake cleaner?

strokin4dr

I would not use that rail. Hell, I wouldn't run bare aluminum fuel components with E85, period. After noticing my factory rail starting to have flakes inside after running E85 for just months I swapped to a FIC rail, new soft lines, inline filter setup and E85 safe fuel pump.
I'd check out all of those things and consider replacement is any piece is suspect and especially if you plan to keep running ethanol.

-Ryan

Chad989of2000

Replaced fuel filter, cleaned fuel rail with rifle cleaning kit, cleaned out Aeromotive AFPR, pulled pump it looked good, had all injectors cleaned and flow tested by FIC. Car fires up and will run if I give some throttle...it surges and then stalls if I don't.

Unfortunately it is now leaking from both ends of the fuel rail. Everything is tightened to spec and it never leaked before. What could be causing this?

Chad989of2000

Going to take it apart again...might be the two rubber o-rings on the fitting sections inside the actual rail. So fun. Anyone know the size of these o-rings (stock) off the top of their heads or where to source?

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
CAPS info:

Inlet: MB554317 says 11.8 size

Outlet: MD604696 says 7.8 size

Maybe that represents the inside diameter measurement? I remember going to the hardware store with mine and finding an equivalent that worked. I seem to remember it was a little bit thicker cross-section diameter. Don't remember the size, though 11 mm is close to 7/16ths.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned