The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Can't Rev Past 6k

desant78

Hello gvr4.org

I can't seem to rev past 6k, under load or just dragging out the gear. This happened before I took the car apart, and is happening now.

I have a keydriver stage 3 chip, but will post the specs of the CHIP once I found the paper work for it, and confirm it is in the car.

My log shows 0 knock, and seems to be heatlhy. This really feels like a fuel cut. I have no wideband installed yet (PO drove the car for year without it, so I drove it during the break in of the flywheel and clutch).

I have a e3 16g, 560 inj, 3g MAF. Car idles fine, pulls great, and boost to 10 psi (spring) until about 5k where it spikes to 18. BISS, TPS, and base timing all set per manual and vfaq. I have a fuel lab FPR set to 37.5 psi without vac. During the break in, I never revved past 4k. since I'm past the break in, I tried just to run out the gear, and the fuel cut came back. I will install a wideband and new fuel pump, hopefully this weekend but really would like to get some opinions on where to look.

I don't really boost or rev high right now, because I don't have my wideband installed, but I am trying to get a head start on the research.

Any suggestions, opinions, or info I need to find would be greatly appreciated. I will post the keydriver info tonight or tomorrow.

thanks in advance for the help!

ktmrider

Would be willing to bet money if the KD chip is there it has a NLTS or Launch Mode setup.

Lots of wiring schematics on this site, check out what is going on at the clutch switch.

turbowop

If that chip does have launch code and it's based off the vehicle speed sensor, a bad VSS could cause the car to stutterbox/rev limit at whatever the code is set at. Or a disconnected speedo cable or bad speedometer.

Fuel cut is like hitting a wall, stutterbox is like hitting a rev limiter. What does it actually feel like when this happens?

ktmrider

^^ Jeff usually coded his NLTS/Launch chips via a ground circuit off the clutch switch at, you guessed it, 6000rpm.

Edit, the NLTS is coded from the clutch and Stutterbox is VSS as per the link below.

Last edited:

ktmrider

Diagram/link for the search impaired: click,All_Forums,&Words=%2Bnlts&Searchpage=2&Limit=25&Main=860482&Search=true&where=bodysub&Name=&daterange=1&newerval=&newertype=&olderval=&oldertype=&bodyprev=#Post860487

turbowop

Word. I know that Jeff did them like that. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif One of the local guys had a chip coded using the VSS for launch control though, so I figured I'd mention it. He had the exact same issue. So I guess how stutterbox is coded just depends on who you get the chip from.

desant78

Wow guys thanks so much! Ill start some NLTS research, which i had no clue about it (a little before my time) thanks for the point in the right direction!

transparentdsm

Sal if you don't mind the 5 minutes of work it take instead of researching, just go flip the two wires on the clutch pedal and everything should be fine.

desant78

^if all seems well, I will DEF try that, Thanks Shane!

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned