The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

bypassing coolant lines?

Kenny_Kline

Has anyone ran a 14b/16g turbo with no coolant lines? I already have a 90 oil filter housing and plan to put on my GT30r soon but want to leave the 16g on the car for a while before I swap the turbo. I was going to install a non turbo front water pipe and just run the 16g on oil only. I am sure it has been done but any negative effects to the turbo? I know coolant is supposed to cool things but I didnt know if this method is as useless as the coolant cooling oil idea.

Long story short, I dont want to ruin a 16g after say a year of drving on it with just oil going through it. Possible?

jepherz

Staff member
"As useless as the cooling cooling oil idea"???

Yes, it has been done before on the OEM turbos as well as others. No, I've never heard/read of any complaints from those who have done it.

prove_it

You should be ok, it's not like a 16g will make for a ton of heat. I would be careful when making pulls and letting her cool down before shut-off. Without coolant, I would think that coking the oil would be a bit easier. Also your oil temps might get hotter also.

324vr4

And only use synthetics for the less likelihood of coking your oil...but that should be common sense on these rides....

Polish

Very common mod, I'll be running my 14b with no water lines.

turbowop

When you go to swap to the GT30R you're going to need to re-install coolant lines for it. Maybe set it up now so you won't have to later on down the road? What is your reasoning behind wanting to delete the coolant lines anyway? The factory lines bolt right up to the 16g easily enough.

CarRacer

You need coolant lines for a 30r? I deleted my lines and use a 90 style cooler with a NT thermo housing. I don't run a turbo timer but I don't romp on it the last mile of where I'm going. If I do I let it idle for a bit.

turbowop

Ball bearing turbos need the water cooling. Journal bearings can be run oil only, but since he's going to be running a 30r later, may as well just run the water lines now. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

CarRacer

Fawk. Really? I did not know that and changed my car over. It cleaned things up in the bay and cut chutter. It's not like I'm upgrading to a FP 30xx tomorrow but this adds to the work load when I do in a couple years.

slugsgomoo

yeah, it has to do with the volume of oil used in a journal bearing turbo versus ball bearing. Ball bearing stuff uses a very tiny amount of oil to lube the ball bearings, whereas in a journal bearing setup there is a lot more oil and it actually floats the bearing on oil.

It really won't be that big a deal to re-add water cooling when you get to that point though so I wouldn't worry.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned