The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

BS check list.

gvr4ever

So, I was going to start getting a list of all the PNs needed for starting the BS removal kit. I'll be leaving the front one in.

I went to JNZ tunning and the TB kit without the water pump and front BS belt is $210. Does that sound right?

Kenny_Kline

6 months ago, I payed $190 for timing belt, tensioner, and idler pulley. Prices may have gone up.

Edit: Just checked, it seemed it went up to $211.19 plus $51.27 for balance shaft belt and tensioner and $126.52 for water pump.

If your doing a balance shaft removal, you do not need the balance shaft kit so pay the $211.19. You DO NOT need a full balance shaft removal kit as your leaving the front shaft in. All you will need is a front case/oil pump gasket, oil filter housing gasket, oil pick up tube gasket, oil return line gasket (from turbo) w/ crush washers, and you have the option to either use a stub shaft or bring the rear balance shaft down to a machine shop with a lathe and have them cut all the weights off in it. There are several arguements to do either or. Personally, I would find someone with lathe and cut all the weights off the rear shaft then re-install it. This helps save the life of the oil pump by giving it more support and also it helps maintain pressure. Both methods work but the stub shaft design has failed before.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask.

Last edited:

gvr4ever

Ya, I know I don't need the whole BS removal kit.

I have read about the shorty stub on AMS and I have the stock rev limiter and I don't plan on raising it (on this engine), so I should be fine. I also don't have time to make machine shop runs and wait. At the moment, the GVR4 is my only car. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

That TB kit price was without the BS belt.

Kenny_Kline

Its a tough job for someone who has never done it before so good luck. I can throw you some tips that will help you but other than that, your on your own. I predict problems with the castle plug and crank pulley

1990ggsxnj

I wasn't aware that the BS Stub had given people reliability issues. I thought it was just ideas with no real facts. I'll be doing the elimination within the next 6 months. What problems did you come across Kenny??

Last edited:

jepherz

Staff member
I'm doing mine now and found that my front bearing has already spun /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

As mentioned, the crank pulley has also given me problems, and the oil pan was a bitch to get off.

turbowop

Quoting 1990ggsxnj:
I wasn't aware that the BS Stub had given people reliability issues.

It hasn't. All of those issues can probably be attributed to using the non-factory stubby that doesn't have the oiling groove in it. Using the factory stubby shaft has been proven thousands of times over to work just fine.

Last edited:

+1

Stay away from the cheap shafts without the oiling groove in the middle. Use only the factory stubby or cut & weld the original shaft.

1990ggsxnj

That's what I was thinking but wasn't sure if it were all kinds that contributed to problems or just the "aftermarket - high performance - low resistance - self maintaining" stubs /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

gvr4ever

Okay, what am I missing?

BS parts list.

Timing:
Belt – MD326059
Idler Pulley – MD129355
Tensioner Pulley – MD156604
Adjuster - MD164533 - $64.07

Balance shaft removal

MD098626 Balance shaft stub shaft

Oil gaskets

Oil Pump gasket– MD365697
Balance Shaft gasket- MD343565
Return Line Gasket (1x) – MR258477
Return Line To Pan Crush Washer (2x) – MF660031

Polish

Crank Seal, Cam Seals (If you feel like doing them, now is the best time), BS Seal, Oil Pump seal, and Front Case gasket and Oil Filter housing gasket. (Not sure what you mean by oil pump gasket and balance shaft gasket)

Last edited:

gvr4ever

Those are the descriptions under the how to section. Everyone seems to call things something different. It gets confusing. I can tell whats what when looking at pictures....

Do you know the PNs for the missing stuff?

Kenny_Kline

Just call Eric over at JNZ Tuning and be done with it. He will have most, if not all the parts in stock ready to be shipped. He will tell you everything you need.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts