The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Brush Guard

MegaSuiter

Fabing up a brush guard, but not just any brushguard. It will extend around the sides until the bumper ends. I do not plan to have a actual bumper on my car. Taking measurements this weekend. Anyone got any input?

kama1

Heres a good one.

MegaSuiter

I am talking three inch piping all around. Covering up over the headlights. BIG foglights like that though lol.

matt92vr4

Going off road or downtown Detroit?

MegaSuiter

Either. The car was in a prior accident and seen what a 30mph front end collision can do to the frame... Don't want to see that ever again.

JNR

Brush guards are for the poseur SUV's and street warrior 4x4's; you need a stout bull bar if you want any real protection! Kind of like the difference between side steps and sliders...(although will say if you're taking this thing out there that needs one of those, you are probably going to need to upgrade a lot more than just a front bar) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

btw - pipe is overkill; should be able to use tube instead. I know people (mistakenly) interchange those terms, but they are different and mention this in case you order the stuff.

Last edited:

IncorpoRatedX

Quoting MegaSuiter:
I am talking three inch piping all around. Covering up over the headlights. BIG foglights like that though lol.

3 inch piping? You're joking right?

something like this is pretty legit:

clean.jpg

MegaSuiter

No I was joking. That is pretty legit. It's going to cover all the area the bumper does and then up a little past the headlights. Why did I not take a CAD program so I could put a rough sketch up...

GSX_TC

This would be a first for these cars, I'm interested to see how it turns out if you follow through with this idea.

MegaSuiter

Exactly. I'd like to post every spec about it so others can do it. I don't want to see anyone else with a salvage title and the insurance company offering you $650 when your car is totaled. Sad...

JNR

Won't this just transfer more energy (damage) in other parts of the car [especially true being a unibody and lightweight construction]? I mean it has to go somewhere, although at parking lot speeds, something like this FTW! Luckily we don't have airbags (sensors) to worry about with something like this.

MegaSuiter

How would it damage anything more than the stock bumper? I am hooking it to the support brace that is inside the factory bumper. If anything I thought it'd be more solid.

JNR

I think a lot of it depends on what you hit, where, which direction and of course the speed of impact...there is a certain amount of 'give' built in to things, being the energy gets dispersed somewhere and if it's too stout at the front, it's going to travel down the rest of the car (more so)...I've seen cars (unibody mostly) get into minor front or rear collisions and there is damage on the opposite end of the car. However, if you're simply attaching it to the existing cross beam, so to speak, may not be as much of an issue, and it would act more like a brush guard than a bull bar; the difference being that a brush guard typically has a weak mounting point and is made of thin tubing, so it either bends at the tube, or at the mounting point...to the contrary, a bull bar is usually mounted to the frame in a solid fashion and is made from thicker, stronger tubing, so that it acts more like an extension of the vehicles frame...this works fine if you have a boxed frame (body on that), but trying to do that on a unibody and especially a chinsy car (vs. a truck let's say), it just sounds like it's asking for trouble...

MegaSuiter

Well I have been bending the front out for a couple days now. leaving pressure on it overnight and coming back the next day to bend both sides evenly. I switched back and forth a couple times and the unibody started separating from the body.... I was curious if anybody had any better idea than trees and chains... I wanted to torch the rails while i was wreching the comealong, but I heard bad things so I didn't try. Anyone else?

MegaSuiter

Well it is straight enough for the fenders and hood to fit "correctly"...Good enough for now. update with pics. Green face GREY BODY.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned