The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Bought the donor car...

sleepyvr4

Stock 1992 Laser from Richmond, VA - 150k w/ rebuilt motor. $1100. Couple new stock parts, good tires, brakes, body, smooth tranny, etc. Tore it down in the last day with no major surprises. No rust anywhere. LSD 4 bolt rear end, 6 bolt block, non abs, 5 lug - anything else this car is good for??? Lotsa parts coming - strip, rebuild & rape underway...

Gonna drive it for a bit - looking for a clean Kensington roller...

1941Galant

Looks like a nice doner car. Does autobahntom still have his KG shell for sale? The car is in MD, so it wouldn't be too far of a hike for you.

Last edited:

NateCrisman

wow, clean-stock-no rust 92 6bolt/4bolt awd laser. might be just as rare as a decent GVR4. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif I'd be tempted to just keep the laser.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif Agree with him a clean stock DSM that someone did not spend thousnads on..
Nice find..

DR1665

The Lasers are increasingly rare, but if it's the difference between a GVR4 returning to the road, well, strip, rape, and strangle that bitch. Plenty of DSMs to go 'round.

fivestardsm

Quote:
DR1665
strip, rape, and strangle that bitch. Plenty of DSMs to go 'round.

Where have I heard that before.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/idea.gif

DR1665

Quoting fivestardsm:
Where have I heard that before..

She was so beautiful, I had to kill her! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif

I bet those Laser wheels would look good on a GVR4, BTW.

Sorry to the six guys on the Laser forum for my comments.

sleepyvr4

ok - dismembering began a few days ago. most of the work thus far has been pressure washing, wire wheeling and sandblasting. A/C removed, PS removed, cruise removed, emissions, f&r bumpers, lotsa interior crap, all seatbelts except front lap belts, rear wiper, lotsa plastickey stuff, brackets, misc unnecessary...

* interior still looks like an interior

* driveshaft filled in with silicon goop

* rear end full of Redline shockproof (more to come for x-frcase and fancy juice for tranny too)

* all old painted green parts now black or shiny metal (wtf the old owner was thinking bleh...)

* head off to machine shop for cleaning, check, and new valve stem seals

* clutch, flywheel and t/o bearing are great shape

* bov sandblasted and crushed

* b-shafts removed

* bottom end in FANTASTIC shape - pistons perfect, crosshatch in sidewall

* complete engine overhaul gasket kit arriving tomorrow

* crap on TB eliminated and blocked, new seals, semi polished

MODS (as of today):

EvoIII turbine housing match ported (free)

2G O2 housing match ported (free)

SBR Stainless ex manifold (free)

2g maf and filter (free)

Intake manifold spacer (cost)

NT oil filter housing and turbo feed line (free)

SBR boost controller (cost)

3" downpipe (6pack of Newcastle)

3" exhaust custom made exhaust (TBD - have to buy 3" muff or resonator - all else is free)

fuel pump rewire ($5)

grey powdercoated valve cover (glam - free)

Winebro 255 (free)

ACT 2900 - not going in yet ($50)

Still need injectors, suspension, working on a buddy for his GM Maft setup since he went link speed density.

looking to best 11.4 with the 14b Laser before swapping parts to GVR4...

sleepyvr4

ok - so 14b record is held by David Womer 11.5@118. Forget project Goodwill and Nate Crisman (nitrous).
DSM Times

Dave's mods are pretty simple:

ported 14b turbo, ported 1G O2 housing, ported 1G exhaust manifold, Supra fuel pump,AFPR @ 43psi, 1000cc injectors, hacked 2G MAF, shorty 3" exhaust, JMfab smim, ETS 12x3.5x32 fmic, Ostrich, Wiseco 9.0:1 pistons, 85.5mm bore. Eagle rods, crank scraper. ring gaps- .0019" top, .0023" second Ported 1.6L DOHC head, Cometic HG, ARP headstuds @85 ft.-lbs, Crower springs, SS valves, FP2 cams, PTT twin disc clutch with Isuzu slave cylinder, Quaife front diff, 4 spider center diff, EVO3 first gear, double syncros on 2nd, 3rd, and 4th gear, good suspension and good tires.

I think if I go 10:1, air to water, speed density link, susp & tread, a few tricks and I'm there. More weight to lose of course. Let's see how I do this fall with less, and go from there...

sleepyvr4

first pics:

3" FP downpipe and custom 3" exhaust installed today. No leaks. Car is kinda hard to drive (no PS) sounds like the 4 horsemen of the apocalypse coming down the road. Needs 93 octane, boost gauge, logged, fuel pump rewire, etc etc etc...

meh.

Looks pretty nice. Just curious as to what part of the driveshaft and why you filled with "GOOP"? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Olson

engrish pls^^

sleepyvr4

Quoting AutoX_VR4:
Looks pretty nice. Just curious as to what part of the driveshaft and why you filled with "GOOP"? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

the rubber mammer jammers that house the carrier bearings -

CLICK HERE

NateCrisman

nice build. I so loved the 14B record shuffling back in 04, that was likely the most fun I ever had with a DSM (going fast with a stupid 14b and junk parts)

Weight and 60' is going to be the key as the diminishing returns with power mods on a 14b is drastic. It seems you can make like 285whp on a 14b with just basic parts, mostly that you have already. then you can spend another $2000 on smim, cams, crazy porting, external gate to hold more boost, and that kinda stuff...and you make a whopping 295whp. Your money is best spent on getting weight out and making the thing go 1.5 60' times. Drag radials, hoosier qtp's, or full slicks will be the key to the record.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned