The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

bore and stroke?

Jesh

so first question. got a 91' galant GSX its a 4G63 block, but are there any differences between the VR4 block and the GSX? if not i could use that and build it and do a swap. second question... from what i've read you have to do some grinding on the block to make a 4G64 crank to fit. is that true? and i've also heard that there is a 100mm stroke crank and a 102mm stroke crank. um... which one do i use? i know you have to get stroker pistons. and also what do you guys think of making a stroker? i know that they lose a little bit of reliability, but i'm more interested in the power potential. any feedback would be appreciated, thanks

prove_it

Wow I can't believe no one has ever talked about this before...........

belize1334

just do a search for "stroker" and you'll learn all about the options. Also, google "dsm stroker" and there's plenty more info out there.

Some quick info to get you going.

The Galant GSX has a 4g63 just like a VR4 or DSM. The only difference is the pistons and perhaps the knock sensor. All 4g63 motors have 88mm stroke and 85mm bore (from factory). For a 6-bolt, there are two OEM cranks that fit: 88mm 4g63 and 100mm 4g64/g4cs. 102mm is not 6-bolt. If using a 100mm stroke crank you have to grind the main-caps a little so the crank clears. There are other cranks out there but they're aftermarket (for better or for worse) and they aren't cheap. Magnus makes 88mm, 92mm, and 100mm. Price tag is $1600. MAPerformance sells Eagle cranks for 88mm and 100mm. They're about $700 each. OEM 88mm and 100mm are usually cheaper but you have to find one.

Jesh

so the 4g64 100mm crank is still a six bolt? i only ask because i have a spec flywheel and would really rather not buy another flywheel.

Struc

They come in either 6-bolt or 7-bolt, just like the 4G63

belize1334

^^ Correct. If you get a 4g64 crank you'll want to make sure that it is a 6-bolt as they are available in both styles. Also, the differences extend beyond just the number of bolts. Fly-wheels aside, a 7-bolt crank WILL NOT work in a 6-bolt block.

Jesh

thanks guys, good info, exactly what i needed to know /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Rausch

Quoting prove_it:
Wow I can't believe no one has ever talked about this before...........

Very helpful.

Jesh

so just curious, when you buy a stroker crank, rods and pistons as a set. is it a given that it was balanced? or does it just depend on the business?

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned