The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Blowing MFI Fuse

belize1334

So, having put my new transmission in, the car is now blowing MFI (MPI / EFI) fuses non-stop. So, one fuse could have been a fluke but 3 is a problem.

I'm actually leaving town tomorrow for 10 days so I'll be hit-and-miss checking this and I won't be able to do anything hands-on until after I get back but I thought I'd go ahead and throw this up to get peoples' creative juices flowing.

Clearly there's something shorted in the MPI circuit but I don't really know what's on that circuit or how it all ties together. I'm hoping we can generate a list of what pulls power from that fuse and any dependencies between those components. I know that the ECU, MFI relay, ISC, and possibly something alternator related are all pulling power through the MFI fuse. What I don't know is what talks to what and who gets power from where... If you have any insight please post up.

Thanks,

-Roger

belize1334

Found it. I apparently pinched the o2 wiring harness between the block and transmission which crushed the PWR and GRND wires and shorted the MPI circuit to ground. Yay for soldering.

broxma

Let it be known when this happens to the next guy this is the second instance of the MFI Fuse blowing due to a pinched wire on the motor itself. Mine did it with a COP wire on the valve cover.

Glad you found it.

/brox

belize1334

^^ Oh yeah I did that a couple of months ago too. Pinched the power wire between the VC and the mounting plate. Fuse blew at 7K on a 20psi pull while "ironing out the kinks" before autocross the next day. I thought I'd killed her for sure.

Be careful of your wiring whenever you move parts around!

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned