The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Belt Squeekin, Brake, Battery, and ABS lights come on???

Ok so im driving in this shitty rainy weather today, my belt starts squeeking once in a while, i smell the rubber burning, then my brake, battery and abs lights come on, half hour later car starts dying, windshield wipers start goin all slow, radio goes off. I just got all the belts replaced a week ago, so what the hell. Did my mechanic not put the belt on properly, is my alternator on its way out, is something seizing up in there, is my belt loose ??? This so frustrating

more than likely ur alternator belt may be loose its an easy fix there is a horizontal bolt for holding it in place and then there is a bold with the head facing towards the radiator u cant miss it tighten it up a little and give it a try. if belt stops squeeling but everything else persist try doing a voltage test on alternator i had this problem like a week ago and just decided to buy new alternator it only took like 45 min to pull old one and put new one in

raptorWagon

Or your alternator belt is worn down causing it to slip, which means it's time to replace it with a new one. So check the condition of the belt itself, then the tension for any slack. If both are good then, move onto replacing the alternator, start with the simple things first.

The easiset way, and I mean the easiest way, to test an alternator is to start your car and remove the positive cable from the battery. If it dies alternator is no good. But I supose you already tested it.

There is an alternator replace how to thread in the "How To" section.

SouthCaliVR4

^^^Don't disconnect the battery with the car running, you will risk damaging the alternator & any other electronics on board. this was fine back in the day but it's not good to do anymore.

easy home method, put a volt meter on the battery terminals & turn on everything, wipers, heater, headlights ect... watch the voltage, should stay over thirteen. voltage will read higher when the car is cold but should stay over thirteen (at least very high twelves). check at idle & around 1500. if your under this mark, figure the alt or grounds are compromised.

to the op, is the shield that bolts up behind the drivers front wheel still in place? if it's not hitting puddles will load the belt with water & cause it to slip, even if tight.

toybreaker

iconoclast
^^^ damn good post, and spot on advice ^^^

Replaced the alternator today, replaced the timing belt, all other belts, seals, water pump, sparkplugs 2 weeks ago also cleaned out the throttle body, so now lets see what goes next. My prediction the starter but i hope not cuz im goin broke. Love this damn car cuz it looks so pretty

mitsuturbo

Where did you get a replacement alternator? If you got it from checker or vato zone, you may be lucky if it lasts more than a year.

Hooray for lifetime warranty. (not)

Got it from a place called buywise. Yeah got a warranty but hopefully it lasts longer then a year.

FlyingEagle

Staff member
Did you install the alternator pivot bolt in the opposite direction so it can be removed easier the second time around? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

FlyingEagle

Staff member
No biggie, just something that becomes an issue when the that bolt is hitting the frame as you pull the alternator out.
When you reverse the bolt, you can pull it behind the turbo and voila, no frame issue.
If you get stuck dropping the motor down at a funny angle to remove the alternator, you will know what I mean.
This was a bigger issue with a C53A Colt/Mirage because the frame is so close, maybe less for a VR4, maybe not.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned