The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

AWD TO FWD ?

umm can 1990-1992 a non turbo awd tranny hold the power from a 4g63T cyclone and can that tranny be converted to fwd?

1990ggsxnj

From what vehicles?
90 trannies have different bearings that cannot handle the load so absolutely not. Curious as to which 91-92 non-turbo tranny you're referring to. I know some summits and vans came with them.

Last edited:

EgonOlsen

The nonturbo AWD Galant is prolly the GTI Dynamic 4, Not sure what its called in US if it was even sold there.
And afaik its a no, you cant use it for a FWD, it wont even work for a GVR-4 either.
Could also be from the GLSI, think it came with an AWD choice as well, also nonturbo.

All Galant Models

Last edited:

raptorWagon

over here it's either a Galant GSX or in Canada the Eagle 2000GTX. Utilizing a VCE(Viscous Coupling Eliminator) you could run it in fwd mode, though that is usually used on two wheel dynos for awd cars.

From my experience, I could not tell you about the n/a awd trans. but i have been daily driving a FWD 1g dsm with a stock 90 AWD DSM trans without an issue. Just to make things stick to the ground better, I used a AWD Flywheel and Clutch kit. It's been 3 years and no problems on the drivetrain. I even left the transfer case output shaft in the trans. Granted first gear acts like its not there, but it work.

1990ggsxnj

The turbo 90 tranny is built differently than the non-turbo tranny. If you're going to be using a weaker trans to begin with for an application that will have substantially more power/load and spreading that accross less surface area (2 axles instead of 4) than I think you're asking for trouble.. but that's just me.

Is the 91-93 FWD (turbo or non-turbo) that hard to come by? I used a non-turbo FWD tranny on my converted Eclipse GS-T for over a year without any issues.

Last edited:

EgonOlsen

I dont think there is sucha thing as a turbo FWD tranny. only nonturbo where fwd.
(Ofc. I could be wrong, it has happened before)

raptorWagon

A turbo fwd tranny comes off a what's called a DSM(Plymouth Laser/Eagle Talon/Mitsu Eclipse) over here, there were AWD and FWD turbo models, so yes there are fwd turbo transmissions. The drivetrains between them and our Galants are pretty much the same, minus the longer driveshaft on the galant and the taller 1st gear.

EgonOlsen

ok I stand corrected, did mean no FWD Galants where turbo though. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
What do I know about all the other wannabe galants? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

you are correct though and he never stated it was a galant, only the engine number, so it could be any car he is talking about /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Last edited:

the car is fwd automatic and i did an engine swap it now has the 4g63t GVR4 engine i jus want to know if the awd non turbo 4g63 tranny can hold the power?

BrandonEchols

^ WTF are you talking about?
First you asked about an NA FWD tranny, then an NA AWD tranny...you're not making any damn sense fool.
I'd first want to know why you would want to make it wrong wheel drive (aka FWD).
If your car is already FWD, and you have a 4G63T engine...why bother swapping to a GVR4 4G63?
It's the same as the DSM version anyway?

If you need a FWD tranny that can hold turbo power, get the tranny from a FWD turbo eclipse and be done with it.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned