The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

ATTENTION: Evo Owners....

2of9

Quoting broxma:
We are the forgotten few. And yet we all have a connection, to our cars and each other.
/brox

Truth. Many people don't know what a Galant VR4 is. They have to think about it 3 or 4 times until they realize what it is. lol. 808 has been my DD since I started and finished college. As of right now, I'm heading to Thailand next week and after that starting a well earned career. I don't know what I'll do to 808, but I hope to keep it and purchase an Evo. Hell, I was even thinking about making the Evo a DD!!

524of1000

Quoting broxma:
We don't get to choose sides based on some brand loyalty, we have to make it up on our own. We have no brands. We are the forgotten few. And yet we all have a connection, to our cars and each other.
/brox

"You're not your job. You're not how much money you have in the bank. You're not the car you drive. You're not the contents of your wallet. You're not your f***ing khakis. You're the all-singing, all-dancing crap of the world." - Tyler Durden /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

broxma

In Tyler We Trusted.

In the end, it is still just 4 wheels and a motor.

/brox

blacksheep

I have been reading this thread for a while and watching its progress...

I have owned 11 gvr4's and 4 Evo's so I think I can speak to the subject - With regards to the gvr4, I think that for its time, it was years ahead. The dashboard on the gvr4 for example is great quality compared to the Evo IX and X. The X's instrument cluster is much better looking and somewhat classy, finally. The gvr4 does have a certain charm that the Evo does not. Its hard to find a gvr4 that hasn't been molested or worked on by someone who was not qualified to be around it. Almost all of gvr4's except my 1st one had some sort of issue that became unbearable. If one was to buy a good condition gvr4 (treated well) and maintained well, it would be a good platform. Almost all of mine were unreliable to some extent or another after a certain point, I could not jump in it and take a trip across 4 states.

The gvr4 is definitely more work. There was really no aftermarket for it. Heck, even FMIC setups before ETS jumped in was hard to find. Also, several parts to recondition the gvr4 are NLA (Interior plastic, hard brake lines, fuel lines too, I believe). This makes the car harder to keep up and running especially now. It all takes more time and effort, but if one has the passion, its definitely worth it.

Also, I was definitely in that category with several of my gvr4's where I did not have enough money or mechanical skills to make it what I wanted to. Right now, I probably have the ability to, but the drive is not there.

There are a few gvr4's on here that have caught my eye, but I hold back due to a bitter taste left in my mouth by others. The Evo is a lot less work and most mods I can bolt on in a weekend.

I still love the gvr4 as much I love the Evo. Heck, I go check out VR4Coops car daily in the FS Section coz I think right now, thats possibly the most well-maintained one on here. Some day, if I can - I will jump on one when I feel like there is no doubt. Till then the Evo will have to do for me. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

nrvous

I just spent 10 days in a GVR4 survival tour on One Lap this year and watched the Evo X team in jealousy. I have been the GVR4 guy in the pits between races, constantly fixing things and I have been the Evo X guy in the pits, handing the GVR4 guy tools. You can make the GVR4 perform and handle and run just as strong as an Evo, but it wasn't engineered to do it naturally.

After 10 days on One Lap I came home to the Evo X, and remembered why this was the platform that finally got me to sell the car I love. My first test ride in the Evo X had me giggling like a school girl. All of those years of re-engineering brakes and handling and power was done. All of the years of trying to fool an ECU and to out-think the car, and now the car is listening. The Evo platform is the Mr. PotatoHead of racing platforms. You put the parts on the car to make it do what you want and the car adapts to the changes.

When I bought the GVR4 originally, I owned a pristine 96 Eclipse. Every morning I would walk out the door and have to choose which one to take. I loved the look of my Eclipse, but the GVR4 was the fun car to drive. I have owned four GVr4's. So now if you put the two side by side in the morning and make me choose which one to drive and I jump in the Evo.

Being part of One Lap and this community again, makes me want to own another GVR4 for different reasons. The Evo community isn't as strong and certainly not as bold in representation. There is a certain amount of respect that can be found when you have to work to make the car perform that well, and it is lacking in the Evo community. Everybody is quick, the mods bolt on, and you really can't mess up. Unfortunately you also have a bunch of followers who no longer know how to make things work until somebody makes it for them. Drives me nuts, so I still want to make my own parts.

Stephen

Well said but in the Evo's defense you shouldn't hold the community against it lol.

There are plenty of cool people in the Evo community, there are plenty of asshats also. But I also think that the Evo community and the shops specifically are in a large part responsible for the progress that has been made with the 4g63 and it's ability to gain a lot of respect in the race communities around the US. I know the 1G and 2G DSMs come first but the Evo really sealed the deal to show people what the 4g63 platform is capable of. And now the new Evo X is showing what Mitsu is capable of and that they arnt just a 1 trick pony

dsmgst

a diesel and my gvr4 race car. im happy. was really leaning towards an evo with fpred/stock block combo but now im deciding against it! stay with your roots and have something to tow the car when it breaks /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

blacksheep

Quoting nrvous:
My first test ride in the Evo X had me giggling like a school girl.

Stevie - I have to say every time I drive my X, I giggle the same way, dude. All week long I drive the integra or the mazda6 and when I jump in the Evo, its amazing. The steering, the handling, power and braking is all amazing. I am going to be one of those bolt-on dudes, but atleast I will do it myself /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif I don't want to crack open the valve cover if I don't have to - well, maybe for some cams someday, but thats all I want to do. The FP Red, Dom2 and CBRD BBX are all great turbos that bolt on and make the car even more potent.

dsmgst

are you in 1st ID... i would assume so! my very good friend is in iraq and coming back to ft riley in 3weeks or so. he has an '05 ww RS and grew up on dsm's. PFC walker is his name. thats kinda crazy haha. how do you like 25S? im at ft gordon right now for 25U, kinda wanna reclass to combat??

Yeah I'm 1st ID DHHB, I know of a Walker, not sure if he is a PFC or not but hes black, kinda tall, might be the same kid.

25S is not to bad I reclassed from MP so I just came from Combat Arms, it's a lot different then what my experience has been in Signal so far.

Ive never driven an evo my self but i will say i always had a blast driving my Galant and my other awd DSM's. I guess really depends on what your definition of "fun" really is. On the street though you are really limited to how much "fun" you can really have and wont really be able to push the limits of both cars. My galant has all adjustable shocks sway/strut bars, with the shocks turned up the thing handled like a dream on the twists and always had a great time

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned