The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

andrew4g63

To Andrew. Thanks for selling me a transmission that does not shift into gear when the motor is started. It may have worked for you but it DOES NOT WORK for me. The mechanic that did the install is a Mitsubishi certified mechanic and has worked for Mitsubishi auto centers for over 9 years. I had your transmission swaped along with a new 2600 clutch kit which included the bearing, pressure plate and disk. I was there when he bled the system 3 times and it didn't work. He also went over the whole clutch system and found zero leaks and the clutch was operating perfectly. I have tried to be reasonable about this and give you every option to come over to my place and get it going. I have waited from my call 1/6/08 telling you that the transmission will not shift and you telling me twice that you would send the brackets that were never shipped and now you are saying that you need to locate them? What happened to the one that you brought when we made the exchange in Tomah? You put the transmission in the back of my car but never the bracket. If this was a couple hundred bucks I might have just wrote it of to bad judgement. But $1500 for the tranny and I gave you $50 for meeting me half way is TOO much to loose. Also the amount of money I spent on the install and the mechanic trouble shooting the transmission to figure out why it does not work.. his opinian is a bad transmission, yours is that it needs the other brackets. Either way I have spent alot of money for parts and labor for a car that does not run. Now you are saying you never gave me a warranty with the transmission and that you never said it would work unless you installed it. I suggest you check back on your first emails because that is what I will be showing the judge. I have had such good luck buying and selling items on this site that I got lazy. My mistake started by trusting you as a member and I did not get your full name and adress. ANYBODY WHO HAS DONE BUSINESS WITH ANDREW4G63 AND HAS HIS LAST NAME AND ADDRESS PLEASE EMAIL IT TO ME. It will be completely confidential. My email address is [email protected] Sorry Andrew, I really did NOT want it to go this way. Also better check your earlier emails to my questions about the transmission before claiming no warranty. Damit anyways,
Bruce Chapman

Last edited by a moderator:

andrew4g63

this transmission had 850 miles on it and i drove it to were it was pulled.
this would be the first time also that i have had a complant on any part that i have ever sold. i offer for you to send it to shep for him to check it over to prove that the trans is good.
you did not like that idea for some reason.
also i do not know what happpened to the trans after i gave it to you.

andrew4g63

also why dont you ask me for my address

Andrew, the transmission does not shift into gear when the motor is running. Do you think I want to go through all of this or would I rather have the car running. You said 3-4 times that you would drive over if it did not work..... now you are saying you never said that. If you can get it going for me GREAT!! but it is going to take a day trip to come over and do the job and get back home. I never received the bracket that you said would make it work either. You kept telling me you are sending it but now you say you can't find one. My suggestion is to drive over, get it running and be done with this issue. Your idea is for me to pay somebody to remove the transmission, pay to ship it to shep, pay shep to check the transmission out and then pay shep to send it back to me..right?? How much money and time do you think I have?? Here is an idea, since you are such a stand up person, pm me your full name and address /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif so I can get the court proceedings going. When I receive the information I will post here that you sent it. Fair enough?
Bruce Chapman

Andrew, Just to let you know what happened to the transmission after I picked it up from you. You and your bud loaded it into my car ( minus bracket's and build paper (which you explained to me you forgot the build sheet but would scan or fax to me...ok) was- drove home-took transmission out of trunk and put on work bench (moved about 5 ft) took transmission off of bench and loaded int car trunk (moved about another 5 feet) then took it to the mechanics shop and he installed. Now you know. I have given you until this Sunday 1/27/08 to fix the problem or at least send the brackects to see if I can fix the problem. Have not received anything yet(brackets or build sheet), Including your full name and address that you said for me to ask for. Moday I file papers. I need my car working.
Bruce

atc250r

Staff member
Mark is right. As a person who was a mechanic for Mitsu dealers for over 7 years and was a professional mechanic for over 12 years, I have seen numerous clutch issues being misdiagnosed as transmission problems. I have no personal stake in any of this and I cannot stand by and watch someone who appears to be misinformed make accusations that are likely not correct against someone. It sound to me like you've got another problem Bruce and its being misdiagnosed as a trans problem.

John

John and Turbowop, thanks for your input and I do mean it. The tranny and clutch will be pulled out this weekend and hopefully fixed. If I am wrong or the mechanic I will post it here and let everybody know. I paid Andrew cash on Dec 22, 2007 for what was to be the transmission, build document "proving what was done to transmission" and bracket's to make it work in the Galant vr4. I guess the transmission was out of an 92 Eclipse. I have not received the build slip or the bracket's or Andrews last name and address. It is now January 31, 2008 some 6 weeks later. ANDREW is posted in the "Bad Guys" section for a reason and this is to warn other members about his selling pratices. He promises things and does not follow through. Come on Andrew, post up and let me know why??
Bruce

andrew4g63

the bracket in your car should be the same unless you had a 1990 trans in there before hand.
i just found the build sheet so i will send it your way.

grocery_getter

I have a tranny now in a GVR4 that will not for the life of it go into 1st gear. All other gear are fine. Take it out and apart and found out the common culprit which is a really old and pitted intermediate bearing, which caused 5th to grind into the bearing plate and caused the hub thrust face to also grind on the 1st gear face. But this thing is 110+ thousand miles. On a low mileage transmission such as what you have, it does sound like the clutch is not releasing all the way preventing you to go into gear.

Try to have the car on the lift and disconnect the shifter cables from the lever. With the engine off, put the lever into first gear position and press the clutch in. Now start the motor and the wheels should not moved yet (it'll moved a bit because of internal drag but you can stop tires movement because of internal drag with your hand on the tires very easy). When you let the clutch out, then the wheels should start moving in a normal progression as you release the clutch pedal from the floor. If it does all this then there is nothing wrong with that transmission. Now you have your assistant press the clutch pedal down again and you should be able to maneuver the lever back into neutral position again.

If when you start the motor with the clutch pedal down and the lever in 1st gear position and the wheel start moving in a fast paced, then it means that the clutch is not releasing completely and that would be your problem.

toybreaker

iconoclast
Andre, that test works, but, it's a litle dangerous, and requires some caution and care to perform. (wear some heavy duty gloves at the least!)

Jack, of Jackstransmissions.com taught me a cool trick about clutches to verify that a clutch is releasing completely.

Find a flat piece of ground, engage first gear, depress the clutch, and start the engine. Slowly bring the rpm up with your foot off the brake, with the clutch fully depressed.

A clutch that is still operating in the friction zone will try and move the vehicle forward, (just as you said,) but it becomes even more noticable at higher rpms.

Sorry about the off topic post, but I'd really hate to see someone get hurt, and I sure would like to hear about you driving your car, (and maybe seeing some pics of your ride.)

It sounds like you're just a clutch issue away from motoring bliss.

91VR41400

Hey i also purchased from andrew4g63. Bought a stock steering wheel and a door trim, everything was good(shipping was alittle slow), both parts came in, but the door trim was the wrong side, and i clearly stated what side i needed. So no biggie, said he would send the right one over. I offered to send the old one back, but no relpy. Heard nothing since.

andrew4g63

i told you i sent it out last monday /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

91VR41400

Yea i saw that, what 1 month ago? Do you check your PM's?? I sent atleast 2 recently asking for an update... with no response. Im a nice guy and usually cool about stuff like this... but communication is the key, if you dont respond, what i am to do? I just purchased another one on here /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

91VR41400

Wow, mysterious, it came in today. The other one i also bought came in today, and i paid for that 1 week ago. So ill apologize for the fact you did ship it out, but slow shipping and bad communication still stands.

DougPorcaro

What was the fallout with this? Did you install the extended pushrod to help further disengage the clutch? Also if it was a worn clutch fork there is a chance it might be bending at the pivot point...

steve

I've approved the above post because it may further the usefulness of this thread, or may facilitate the removal of this thread if the OP was able to resolve the issue.

Hello all. Just to update since I have not been on this site for a long time. I did have a longer pushrod installed and it did not work. There is still something wrong with the car that has to be repaired. A second transmission was installed, new clutch and flywheel, front valve and the problem is still there. Master cylinder was replaced new a couple years ago so it appears that the transmission from Andrew does work because I was able to shift into each gear and the transmission did it's part in the process. Don't be too smug though Andrew because the mechanic had to repair 2 stripped holes and remove one broken bolt before it was installed. I owe Andrew an apology for saying the transmission did not work because it does. I still have NOT received a build up of the transmission that you said you would send. I am going to sell the transmission for whatever I can get for it (see for sale) and be done with it. I am also going to sell the car through word of mouth when it finally gets repaired. Again, thanks to all that put input into helping me get the car running. End of story.
Bruce

Last edited by a moderator:

Andrew, I need the persons last name who purchased the work from Shep, than I can get the rebuild information. I sent John the OEM stamping but that did not get me anything. I will email this info to you.
This is a email from John.

Can’t tell by that number sorry that is an oem stamping # I will need his last name.

John

www.sheptrans.com

www.shepracing.com

andrew4g63

pm sent bruce

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned