The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

american radio in jdm car help

dkvr4

So one surprise I experienced when I got my jdm vr4 is that the radio doesn't pick up US frequency lol. So after searching for an answer all I've been coming across is "frequency converters" for the jdm radio in the car, which isn't really my question. I'm trying to find out if I switch out the Japanese head unit in my car with an american Pioneer would that solve the issue or would I still have to do some type of frequency converter?

Thanks in advanced for any info!

FlyingEagle

Staff member
Your cars analog antennae will pickup whatever you throw at it, the radio does the translating of what is perceived to be out there.

Installing a US radio should get you back in business. IF you have a wiring diagram or members here can confirm, it would be good to know if the electrical plugin, is still the same, including the antenna plug.

The Japanese must use different radio station bands to what America/Canada do. Should be the only difference.

AllanL

+1

JDM uses up to around 88 mHz only, while we use the frequencies from 88 MHz...

dkvr4

So then I should be all set just throwing in a regular pioneer headunit? If that's the case YES! Lol listing to music on my headphones in the car was starting to be a pain

galantgti

All you need is a fm band expander. Then you can use your current radio just like it would have been a usdm radio.

Otherwise, just swap it for your Pioneer. You only have to swap the radio, your antenna and such is fine

dkvr4

Thank you everyone, I ordered my head unit. As much as I wanted a double din I decided to go with a single din (pioneer MVH-X370BT) since I plan on using the bottom slot for gauges. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned