The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Aluminum fuel tank in stock loaction

PTLourenco

Hi, I was wondering if anyone makes a aftermarket fuel cell the bolts into the stock location. I was planning on making one, but i really don't want to go through all the hastle if someone already did it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Barnes

Most people just cut out the spare tire well and the surrounding steel to create a rectangular hole sized for a fuel cell. Any reason you are fabbing a fuel cell yourself instead of just purchasing one?

spooling92vr4

I know JMF makes one for the 1g dsm. I'm sure you can call him and ask him to make one a wee bit shorter. I'm not sure if the bolt holes for mounting would be the same though

PTLourenco

Quoting Barnes:
Most people just cut out the spare tire well and the surrounding steel to create a rectangular hole sized for a fuel cell. Any reason you are fabbing a fuel cell yourself instead of just purchasing one?

Only reason being is, I would like to keep the stock look and appearance. I've looked online, but have found nothing. JMF has one for the 1st gen but it's only a 7 gallon cell. I would like a factory one but you all know how that goes... rust!!!!!

JSchleim18

You can por15 tue factory tank and that should last you the life of the vehicle.

Barnes

If you are really only doing it because of rust, I'd source a stock tank. Yes, sourcing a good stock GVR-4 gas tank can be a pain, but it's going to be a lot easier and cheaper than putting in a fuel cell.

Last edited:

citymunky

It's not that hard to find, I just pulled one off of 923/2000.

Lofty

Quoting Barnes:
If you are really only doing it because of rust, I'd source a stock tank. Yes, sourcing a good stock GVR-4 gas tank can be a pain, but it's going to be a lot easier and cheaper than putting in a fuel cell.

I found this out the hard way.

A decent fuel cell setup ended up costing me 500-1000$

Yup.

I don't regret, because it looks epic, but still.

PTLourenco

I have already sent several messages to Bret, he doesn't remember who fabricated it. I was waiting to see if he could find any info, but things have been quite. I don't want to keep on bothering him. My tank didn't look that bad either, but once I started to clean off the rust scales on top I found very fine pin holes. I suppose I could you some tank sealant. I might buy a used one, only if the condition is right.

FlyingEagle

Staff member
The local Radiator/Gas tank rebuilder here uses POR15 grey to seal pinholed and repaired tanks. I had pinholes and or a possible seam issue on a Colt I owned.
Sent in the tank with pinholes (where the rubber rust undercoating could not be sprayed with a tank installed), and received back a very shiny, sealed and oh-so grey
fuel tank in return; my old tank.

So, I highly suggest the POR15 route is you can first figure out how to soda blast or clean the area in question, and then you can dip/roll/spray the tank once it is rust prepped.

I have personally used POR15 stuff before, and it is rock hard and works well. My tank was literally sealed in a thick shiny grey layer. I really liked it, and the tank
most likely outlasted the car with it's final owner, Colt = RIP now.

Edit - Just found this:

click

Last edited:

donkeylips

What if your studs are damaged? Has anybody ever had those repaired?

citymunky

Quoting donkeylips:
What if your studs are damaged? Has anybody ever had those repaired?

The stud that hold in the fuel sending unit?

LordAthey

Yes I just had this happen. I snapped all the studs due to rust so I'm thinking of finding a tank or making a fuel cell.

JNR

I wouldn't use aluminum unless it's coated on the inside...not only because of gasoline, but especially that corn oil (ethanol) they use now, which will corrode it. They used zinc dichromate on carb's and imagine that could be used for the inside of the alum. tank, or something similar, although whatever you use be sure it's compatible with ethanol, even if you never go E85 most places (least here at almost all) use ~10% mix.

Instead, maybe see how much a stainless unit would run...they are not *that* expensive, but they are also not that cheap. Best thing would be as mentioned and get an oem tank and have them put a coating on it (any good tank repair shop can do this for not a lot) and do whatver you want to it (i.e. AN bungs, etc.).

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned