The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Alternator cooling idea

ApexHunter

Pusher fan on front driver's side of radiator, always on. It's location won't have it blowing directly on the alternator, but it should help with the radiation from the o2 housing and downpipe, especially in low vehicle speed conditions.

6262498792_b19b729def_b.jpg

6262498890_a9cf8254b3_b.jpg

6262609034_ec0e093c14_b.jpg

I'm planning to use the wiring for the stock a/c condenser fan. At one point i (think) I read that i could jump the connector for the A/C fan sensor to create an "always on" condition for the a/c fan. Is that correct? I have been searching and can't find the answer. Also, on the 1g t-stat housing which sensor would that be?
6262078967_076e94bf3d_z.jpg

broxma

Relocation to the AC position?

Or just a bent sheet metal shield like the Evo has on the AC components due to the same issue?

Fan might help though.

/brox

Thermotec exhaust wrap on all exhaust components helps a lot. 45 bucks for a pack should be enough to do your exhaust mani, o2 housing and your down pipe.

GSX_TC

^^ those work great btw

IncorpoRatedX

go through the trouble of buying and mounting a pusher fan, then wiring it for always on....

Or just run the factor freaking heat shields! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

some of the logic around here... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

GSX_TC

Those things are hard to get. I'm STILL trying to find a set lol

curtis

I know the 2G shields work on the manifold but I bet JNZ can locate a set.

curtis

One more thing. Some cars come with small 12volt squirrel cage fans in the engine compartment. I know the old turbo izuzu impluse's have them but also vans and suv's with the rear heaters have them. You could get one of those and mount it up in the fender well to blow fresh air at the alternator

ApexHunter

Thanks for the comments. We've all seen the same goal achieved other ways, but i am just going to try it this way as an experiment for fun and i thought i'd share.

Josh, this will be in conjunction with the factory heat shields!

Even with those, the alternator is still in harms way especially in my case. While it will be driven on the street occasionally, the car's main purpose will be trackdays, and two of the closer tracks, chuckwalla and willow springs, are in the desert!

In any case, this extra fan is going to help not only remove heat from the engines cooling system but also help deal with radiation from the o2 housing/dp heatshields.

Still looking for an answer to this question: If i jump the connector for the A/C fan switch that will keep it running all the time? Would that be the connector for sensor A or B (see pic).

GSX_TC

i can help you jump it david, i did both of mine. theres a sensor at the bottom of the radiator that you unplug then jump that. and it makes it run all the time.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned