The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Alternator Choices.

I am just now finishing my motor up, and I'm weary of the low-mile auto zone alternator that is on there now. Shortly after I get the motor in 519, I'm moving to Texas and thats a bit of a drive. So should I get a spare, or just go to Mitsu and see if they can get me an OEM unit? How much would one be from the dealer? BTW, a Saturn alternator isn't an option right now.

Adorsey

I just put in a 90amp mitsu alternator from Advance Auto. I believe it was $145 after returning the core. She starts up good, but havent done much driving since I put it in.

THEKID

Adorsey

^ Awe, I wish I knew of something like that..

KiNgMaRtY

Darn, same here. Almost the same price as the Autozone/Kragen replacement. Lifetime warranty so its not that bad (just went in and swapped it out) plus my PS pump was leaking on it. I replaced both of them this weekend.

chucklesas

Sweet, I think my 135 amp alter-start alternator is on the outs (only reads 13.8 volts at 3000rpm) nice to see someone is still making some high-amp models. Oh, and nobody ever warns about the difficulty of replacing on alternator once you've done the alternator relocation kit. I'm not looking forward to that little project. I don't know if it will squeeze out between the trans and water pipes or if the intake will have to come off.

atc250r

Staff member
Don't hold me to this Charles but I'm pretty sure the intake has to come off. That high output one looks like a great deal. I think the lifetime Advance Auto one I got was about $120 and its just a DSM 75 amp job. With all the stuff (ABS, AC, etc...) that has been removed from many of these cars I don't see the lower amperage as being a problem but its nice to have that extra juice in reserve.

mikus

Cano electric in Chicago, about $100. They have a coupon on their site, I've run two (on two vr4's) no problems.

Man alive, do not get a box store alternator for this car

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned