The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Stripped alternator tensioner bolt

CarRacer

Having an issue with my car. I tossed an alternator belt last week and replaced it. I figured the tension was a little too tight so I loosened up the adjuster. Evidently something went wrong or it's just old but the adjuster assembly thing stripped out and now my belt is far too loose. I had to use jumper cables to get the car home tonight.

Any ideas on where I can source a new tensioner quick? Would one of the parts stores be able to get something like this? Any other reccomendations?

Thanks for any advice.

CarRacer

Crap. I searched +alternator +tension and didn't come up with that thread. Thanks for the assist though.

Weird thing about that is that I already do have a nut on the backside of the metric bolt that is on there. I guess I'll try and just skip the tensioner bolt adjuster and use a block of wood as Terry suggested and see where that gets me.

PS - Screw MN weather. 0* and an unheated garage suck.

1941Galant

I remembered that Terry posted it, so I searched for +tensioner, and then put his name in down below. I never have luck with the stock tensioner holding, if I go back to having the alt. on the front of the engine, I plan on doing what Terry did.

Last edited:

Terry Posten

On the other hand, the AC tensioner on our cars is da BOMB. I love that part. 1000 times better than the Alt method.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned