The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

After seven years, the 5zigens have been replaced...

JSchleim18

I was going to mention the fill-in process but you would have to repaint the bumpers and skins. I'd say black or belize green IMO.

JNR

We want day time, other angle pics! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

You had centerlines on that car a few years ago, or am I thinking of another?

turbowop

Yeah, I had Centerlines years ago.

I pulled it out of the garage real quick just to see it in the sun. I also took it around the block.

GVR47111K

Quoting turbowop:
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nono.gif

They're going on 503. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif ...Too many other GVR4's rolling around on 5zigens, yanno?

Wait a tick. If there are already too many other GVR4's rolling around on 5zigens and you are gonna put yours on 503, then aren't you just adding another GVR4 to the list of GVR4's rolling around on 5zigens? A give and take type deal, anyways, I think they look real neat-o. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

turbowop

I'm taking the 5zigens off one gvr4 and putting them on another, so I am give/taking. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

PolskiVR4

LOve it, I actually think the chrome trim works well with it. So when is 1051 making its way over to the Shootout???

cheekychimp

Quoting turbowop:
Yeah, I had Centerlines years ago.

I pulled it out of the garage real quick just to see it in the sun. I also took it around the block.

Still looks dope to me.

As for the strip, I know you are going to cringe at this, but I covered my strip with 3M carbon tape and it actually looks really cool. It's not a cheap glossy carbon fibre but looks like a matte finish. Anything over about 10 feet and it just looks black but get up close and it looks kind of classy. No repainting, a bit fiddly but also reversible. I highly recommend it!

curtis

loose the chrome......my 20 second mspaint version with custom tag /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Last edited:

belize1334

Quoting turbowop:
I used FWD knuckes to lessen bump steer since my car is lowered

I'm, curious of your impression on this. With the car weighted, how close to parallel are the tie-rod and control arm? I sure wish that the FWD knuckle would place the attachment point lower and inboard (for quicker steering) instead of lower and outboard. Oh well...

GSTwithPSI

Quoting turbowop:
Wheel specs are: 17x8 +40

I tried to find +35's but since most of these sell in staggered sets, I had to settle for these. I picked them up from a Yahoo Japan auction through the help of my little sis who's over there teaching English. Bonus points for them being the all gold limited edition F1 series LM's. They're in decent shape with a few nicks here and there, and they cleaned up really well. I may get them refinished later on down the road.

I am using 5mm H&R spacers to bring them out to the same stance as the old wheels, although they clear the brakes just fine without them. I think an ultimate set would be +45 and reverse mounted faces on the backside of the barrel flange. That would make for a lot of lip and still clear the front calipers while bringing the wheel out enough to fill the wheel arch since reverse mounting subtracts like 12mm from the positive offset.

So what are your thoughts on how the same wheel mounted the same way as yours are now, but a 17x8 +45 offset would or would not fit? Do you think you would have any clearance issues between the rear lip of the rim/tire and suspension components (especially in the rear)?

Edit: ^^^Your thoughts as well on this with or without the 5mm spacer you are currently running.

Last edited:

turbowop

I think a +45 would have clearance issues with the rear trailing arm, and possibly the front strut. I'm not sure why you'd wanna do that offset in this size unless going with my idea of reverse mounting the wheel faces.

jepherz

Staff member
Quoting belize1334:
Quoting turbowop:

I'm, curious of your impression on this. With the car weighted, how close to parallel are the tie-rod and control arm? I sure wish that the FWD knuckle would place the attachment point lower and inboard (for quicker steering) instead of lower and outboard. Oh well...

Lower and outboard? Where did you get this info?

turbowop

I just finished swapping out ABS computers and the associated wiring swaps. Seems to work just fine after a quick test drive. No ABS light and if I really stab the brakes I can feel the ABS kick on.

I'll know how the FWD knuckles work after I get an alignment. Maybe this weekend.

Ralli380Gvr4

Green for the money, gold for the hunny's.

PreskitVR4

Quoting belize1334:
Quoting turbowop:

I am running FWD knuckles in 501 as well. If anything, it gave me a tighter turning radius and my tie rod angle is significantly improved, as good as it's gonna get with how retarded low my car is on the K-sports.

turbowop

I got an alignment today, pulled off the front lip, and also picked up some black trim to replace the chrome. Drove the car around town a bit and never had an issue with the ABS light coming on. I think I'm finished with this 5-lug swap and ABS ordeal.

I'm not sure if I'll reinstall the lip. Sometimes I like it and sometimes I don't. With these wheels, I think the car looks better without it. I also like the black trim waaaay better than the chrome that I had in there.

Here are some pics under cloudcover. The car almost looks black without the sun shining on it since the green is so dark.

asmo

Looks damn good, did u remove the chrome strips and replace them, or cover over them? I was thinking of getting similar wheels with a chrome dish to match the strips but.. would love to have the strips black.

turbowop

I pulled out the chrome and replaced it with new black stuff. I found some that is exactly the same size as the OE stuff at a local autobody supply shop.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned