The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

After 2 months I finally got car back from Atlantic Motor Sports

WesternMD_VR4

as for the idle...the only thing that scares me is my friend put the cams in for me and since that time it would have the crazy idle (which was assumed to be the timing)...going up and down and staling. and it seems to be doing a similar thing that it was before even after this tune and what makes me wonder if it is the TB or something else... this idle never started happening until that day my friend installed the cams..and maybe i will check them spark plugs out i just hate to with literally brand new plugs in the car

G sorry for the late reply didnt see your first reply...no im sorry not to be confused with "AMS" this "AMS" in Gaithersburg,MD but they are one of marylands biggest tuners and they specialize in mitsubishi's.i had them referred from a couple of people "ATLANTIC MOTOR SPORTS"

Last edited:

BogusSVO

Well that is another part of the puzzle, the cams.

What cams did you have your buddy install?

Also, did you install adjustable cam gears?

slugsgomoo

Quoting BogusSVO:
Well go pull them out... that is a good chance of your rough idle issue, Drop some NGK copper cores in there, gapped to .028

The part number is something like a BPR6E

I am sure another member will chime in if I listed the wrong part number

You think new lifters and springs?? You do not know?? Sounds like you need to pull your VC and check.

Factory plug is BPR6ES, though if you're running more boost or a larger turbo most find going to 7's is a better idea. Myself and others have found that running a non projected plug seems to help the cars behave better wrt knock. I run BR7ES in both of my 4G63's fwiw.

WesternMD_VR4

they are the BC 272's... it unfortunately DOES NOT have ACG's in it i need some so bad but i just havnt been around to buy them and have them done

Gizmovr4

What are you using for tuning? After the cam install was the base timing set properly ?

At your power level there is nothing gained by adjustable cam gears- besides most people don't even know how to adjustment them properly anyhow.

I guess the real question should be - why was all this work done in the first place ?

Last edited:

SleepinGVR4

Quoting mitsuturbo:
They charged you $2600 and couldn't take the time to replace your f***ing TB seals?

This.

And they specialize in mitsu's but didn't know enough to use copper plugs and not iridium's? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

Not a good sign.

GSTwithPSI

Quoting WesternMD_VR4:
they specialize in mitsubishi's.i had them referred from a couple of people "ATLANTIC MOTOR SPORTS"

^ Agreed. I'd say anyone who specializes in Mitsubishi would know not to install Iridium plugs. It's pretty much common knowledge that NGK copper core plugs are the way to go. And what does a $285 dollar complete vehicle check up entail?

Last edited:

WesternMD_VR4

they do specialize in mitsubishis and skylines (there was actually 2 there when i dropped car off) but they mostly work on evo's they dont do the 1g dsm as much these days(i know its a tune shop they should be able to do any car)...but the
"vehicle check up"
consists of
adjust vehicle timing to factory
leak down test
compression test
cyl #4 dead

i can change the spark plugs and see if it makes a difference in the idle but idk

Last edited:

mitsuturbo

Wow. For 285 you could buy a compression tester, leak down tester, timing light, spark plugs AND some beer for you and a buddy while you do the work!

rebelboost

I agree with this post. I had a rough idle of 2k without surge, until I bought a TB with new seals and had a friend help with TPS. Now she purr's at a beautiful 900rpm. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

raptorWagon

Quoting WesternMD_VR4:
they do specialize in mitsubishis and skylines (there was actually 2 there when i dropped car off) but they mostly work on evo's they dont do the 1g dsm as much these days(i know its a tune shop they should be able to do any car)...but the
"vehicle check up"
consists of
adjust vehicle timing to factory
leak down test
compression test
cyl #4 dead

i can change the spark plugs and see if it makes a difference in the idle but idk

To assume they can tune any car is a bad assumption to make for any shop. Different shops are familiar with different systems not all of them are going to know how to tune every car with the so many different kinds of tuning software and ecus out there in today's world.

JCorbo25

Quoting WesternMD_VR4:
they do specialize in mitsubishis and skylines (there was actually 2 there when i dropped car off) but they mostly work on evo's they dont do the 1g dsm as much these days(i know its a tune shop they should be able to do any car)...

Even Evo 8s run better with Copper. I had a shop that specialized in Evos throw Iridiums in my Evo 8, gave me all sorts of break-up in high boost. Threw a set of coppers on and all was good.

The Evo 9 REQUIRES iridiums though.

Most shops also waive inspections charges when they do major work (just rolling it into total cost). I find it odd that they itemized all the basic stuff.

BpuVR4

I'm most likely the least knowledgeable poster here, but even I will attest to sticking with the NGK Coppers...doesn't leave a good feeling hearing about the iridiums.

vr4play

I don't know why everyone is bashing iridium plugs. In my opinion they are the only way to go. I had break up issues with e85 and copper plugs. A correctly gapped set of iridiums and the problem was gone. They are proven to fire off easier and not have as many issues because of how small the electrode is. I can feel a difference in how well the car runs between iridium and copper. I don't think it will idle perfect with BC 272's and non adjustable cam gears. I have heard that they are usually off more than the more expensive brands like HKS. If the problem started after the cam install then I would suspect that is what is causing the problem. I would replace the throttle body seals, degree the cams, adjust the Biss screw and set the TPS. Depending on what your tuning with you will have to make some adjustments there after fixing all of the air leaks.

Last edited:

turbofonz

AGREED about the iridium plugs.

The car runs cleaner with them all around, and handles high boost better. My car was sputtering at 35lbs... iridiums went it and it was fine. I love hearing how people are still on the copper bandwagon. I used to go through plugs a few times a year... iridiums now and I haven't touched them since they went it. Both my cars run iridiums and my mirage will run them too whenever it's together.

G

Staff member
Explain to me how you are gapping iridiums with their fragile tiny electrode. NGK or denso?

vr4play

I have a gapper that only moves the ground strap. You have to be careful when checking the gap but you just tweak the ground closer or farther away from the electrode. I'm gapped at .024". I use the Denso IW24. It doesn't like to start on E85 when its 30* outside but I think thats just E85 and the cold plugs.

Last edited:

JCorbo25

Quoting turbofonz:
AGREED about the iridium plugs.

The car runs cleaner with them all around, and handles high boost better. My car was sputtering at 35lbs... iridiums went it and it was fine. I love hearing how people are still on the copper bandwagon. I used to go through plugs a few times a year... iridiums now and I haven't touched them since they went it. Both my cars run iridiums and my mirage will run them too whenever it's together.

At 35psi it makes a difference, but my Evo ran just fine at 27psi on coppers.

If you are on a 16G size turbo, coppers work great and there are no need for iridiums. It's like putting premium octane gas in an engine designed for regular.

Street Surgeon

Just joined in on this thread, soooo people think copper plugs work better than iridiums? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned